Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable Speed Vs. $$$

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Man I need to get Cable....DSL sucks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    nizers's Avatar Poster
    I DL'd some of those patches you referred and then tested like you mentioned above and came out with an average of about 2.0 megabites per second... it sounds good. Says it's faster then T1 ...but, my ISP says my package only goes up to 1.5Mbps. Who's right?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Your ISP may be closer to right, then again you be the judge since you are the one that is actually using the service. Do some download testing at different location/file sizes and see what speeds you come up with. With the DL speeds you can average out what it is you actually get vs. what ISP/Test sight says. Best of luck on final decision.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    The Point here is that even they have those different packs they must also assure a quality Cable Signal (Forward Path and Return Path) and those kind of things are very hard to attain because the Cable Signal is always floating even when u turn your TV ON or OFF ... get the 750 kbps pack and look in the CABLE MODEM software if the Signal is fine... after u may need to buy an ATENUATOR and make the signal adjustments... i don't how much it should cost there, but i bought one by 30 € +/- 30 US$

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Like your avatar Lone Ranger.....welcome to the board.Wheres Tonto?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    downgrade and use that thirty dollars to buy the dvd u wanna watch, or rent and rip, or buy them bootleg, or u can just get drunk and forget about downloading movies.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by maybe@7 March 2003 - 00:52
    or u can just get drunk and forget about downloading movies.
    That is the kind of attitude we need in this galaxy of ours.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Take the $30 and buy some beer and relax!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Take the thirty dollars and have fun.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by nizers@14 February 2003 - 12:10
    Says it's faster then T1 ...but, my ISP says my package only goes up to 1.5Mbps.  Who's right?
    First things 1st.. goto www.dslreports.com .. go to tools, and test your connection speed. You compare your speed against other providers in your area, and other users.

2nd.. your ISP quotes you a "guaranteed bandwidth", it could be more or less, depending on a few factors, such as the number of users in your area, etc..

DSL is the best service because you have a direct connection from your home to the central office at the telephone company. Many users aren't happy with their DSL because it is a fairly new service, and they have yet to work out the bugs, even in major metro areas like NYC. In addition, DSL connections will only work if you are within a 3 mile range of the central office which services you.

Until they can work out the DSL bugs, cable is probably the best choice. However as more users get cable in your area, the connection speed will slowly drop over time. After enough customers have signed up, you may experience a slight decrease in speed. If you live close to the city, instead of on the outskirts of town, your cable company will constantly be adding new servers in your area, so this probably won't be an issue for you.

I say get the fasted package that they offer, especially if you plan on downloading lots of big files, movies especially.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast