Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I'm currently running Windows XP Professional SP1 with all updates.

Before I think I'm gotten this error once or twice here and there, but it's never really mattered. Now, I'm getting it all the time, and it's becoming a real problem. It occurs if I do things like try to install some software. It'll also happen because of little things, like hitting the "view" toolbar button in explorer.

I've tried to do system scans, but nothing has found anything to fix. I went to the microsoft site, and it said this is usually caused by memory problems. I have not installed any new RAM, or done anything related to RAM. Also, the microsoft site said this may be caused by AntiVirus software. I've just recently installed Norton Systemworks, but I get the error even when I disable it.

I'm not sure what the problem is (Virus Scan pulls up nothing), so if anyone can please help, that'd be greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Do you have enough ram ? Have you tested your ram lately?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have 512 MB of RAM. I used this same RAM on my computer for years with Win98 and WinME, and then I just updated to WinXP. Have been using WinXP for about 4 months with no problem. There's nothing specific that I did that started all of this, it just happened.

So, I don't think not having enough RAM is the problem. How would I go about testing the RAM?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    http://www.memtest86.com/

try that i would check out the ram guide
    here as well.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    okay, I have run that before.

But, how do I interpret what it tells me, and how do I fix it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    If it tells you there are errors, put in new RAM.

When you get a BSOD, take note of the stop error code, help with a very common one can be found HERE.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The error message never said anything about bad RAM, I'm just saying that microsoft said that this is the most common reason. Also, I have heard from multiple places that this could be because of antivirus. I'll try uninstalling my antivirus, and see if that helps.

Oh, and I did know which stop error code it was. It was the one that you said was most common. I'll try the antivirus thing, and if that doesn't work, I'll temporarily replace my RAM with some that I know is good, to see if that's my error.

If anyone has any other ideas, please help.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok, uninstalling Norton did nothing for me. When I ran the RAM test, it repeated itself plenty of times (I left it running for 5-6 hours), and when I went to error report, all the tests were error-free except for Test #7, which had 14 errors in it. According to the website, Test #7:

Test 7 [Moving inv, ones&zeros, no cache]

This is the same as test one but without cache. With cache off there will be much less interference with the test algorithm. However, the execution time is much, much longer. This test may find very subtle errors missed by previous tests.
    So, how do I interpret this, and what do I do about it? Should I just try replacing my RAM?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    For the price of a stick of ram, it might be a good idea. If it doesn't help, it can't hurt.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I just tryed switching out my RAM, in case it had somehow gone bad, and this did nothing. I don't think that it's a RAM problem. Any other ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast