Thread: Speeding Up Bittorrent

Poster
    Hey all I use Bittorrent.. as of.. last week lol - and I've had a successfull download but it was only small... now I'm downloading something nearing 2GB and I want to know the fastest way to download it. I've tried changing the settings in Shadows Client but I'm not sure what to do..

I'm on NTL Broadband [the slowest package] and I have Norton Firewall and AV 2003.

Anything to make this screeny better..

Darnit the screeny didn't work.. and I shut BitTorrent by an accident so now its all reset lol - but it was about 130MB complete.. it had been running for about 9 hours. Currently there are around 2 seeders and 4 - 9 peers. But my download rates never go over 10kb/s and my upload rates around 8-11/kb.

Mat

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Thats 10 kBytes/s,ie 80 kbits /s

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    Is that good or bad?

Compared to other people I've seen getting 100/200kb/s!!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Go here click on Our Tools>speed tests to find out what your upload/download speed is

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Haha emm should I stop my download for this?

EDIT : OK I paused my download and stopped all applications using net and got :

Your download speed : 141948 bps, or 141 kbps.
    A 17.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 63211 bps, or 63 kbps.

Thats why I made my other post about asking what is eating my connection!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by Mat_At_Home@28 November 2003 - 10:54
    I'm on NTL Broadband [the slowest package] and I have Norton Firewall and AV 2003.

What does your ISP cliam your speed is ? What is the speed of "the slowest package"

-- Art Buchwald --

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED
    5. Try to post in the correct forum. Take the time to look at the other topics, read forum descriptions, and see where your topic should go. Also, take the time to read the FAQs and other pinned topics. The administrators and moderators may move topics that are posted in the wrong area.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    What does your ISP cliam your speed is ? What is the speed of "the slowest package"
    NTL's slowest package is 150K (and judging by the specs report thats what he's got).

If you have Shadows client then check the colour of the status light - it'll probably be yellow indicating a problem with BT and your firewall. There are other posts around that explain how to allow BT to use the ports it needs (its quite complex though). Also note the download speed depends alot on how well seeded and how many users are sharing the file at good speeds.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    At 10 KB/sec upload, it's better to upload to 5-10 people at once instead of the default of 4. This way, more people 'owe' you some return bits of the file...

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster
    Thanks you guys!

Yeh I'm sorry about posting in the wrong place, I thought I was in the right place, but since I'm such an avid poster I had 3 forum windows up and I thought I was in P2P

Anyway Thanks I'll try your suggestions and get back to you all!

Mat