Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are Computer Terms Offensive?

Fine JPol, why don't we let every individual who has any complaint clog our courts with their personal issues.

I feel that any strongly held opinion, which is legimate, will find many sympathetic ears and garning support should not be a problem.

I think the accusor must make a certain effort before imposing his problem upon us. In this case, I can see how people might say, "I can see where he might find offense", but you can see how troublesome it would be if everyone who thought something was "offensive" got to take their personal agendas to court.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Poster
    j2

Once again good points, well presented with an anecdote for additional flavour (yes it does have a u in it). A good anecdote at that.

I refer you to two earlier posts, where I say that :

"Not a simple annoyance, but a genuine hurt and offence."

I do not think my position is terribly at variance from hobbes and yourself. I merely express the opinion that we should consider these things in a balanced way and not just dismiss them out of hand. Simply because we find something to be preposterous, that does not mean that others do. You only have to look at how hand gestures, for example are viewed differently throughout the world to put this in a proper perspective.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@29 November 2003 - 22:37
    Fine JPol, why don't we let every individual who has any complaint clog our courts with their personal issues.

I feel that any strongly held opinion, which is legimate, will find many sympathetic ears and garning support should not be a problem.

I think the accusor must make a certain effort before imposing his problem upon us.  In this case, I can see how people might say, "I can see where he might find offense", but you can see how troublesome it would be if everyone who thought something was "offensive" got to take their personal agendas to court.
    Again I can't disagree with your logic.

However we must look at this on a case by case basis. His personal resources, educational background etc must be taken into account. Some people are more able to fight their own battles than others.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    J'Pol-

At bottom, I agree with you, as ever.

I suffer the remnants of having been around too many people who like to complain.

I would always entertain the genuinely perceived offense with an eye toward arbitration of the grievance, but I feel, still, that the trivial would overwhelm not only the courts, but us, too.

That is to say, if you have a grievance, air it, but don't presume legal recourse-and in our country, these ideas spread like wildfire.

We don't need anymore reasons to seek legal counsel, neither do we require redress for every little offense, genuine or not.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Poster
    What is it they say, it is better that 10,000 guilty men go free than that 1 innocent man is convicted. Is this not similar, must we not at least consider these things.

Must we not investigate every instance where there is a genuine reason for concern. I know - there's the rub. Who decides when it merits arbitration - the arbitrater, thank you so much Heller you bar steward.

Though I do see how it entirely different when one has such a litigious culture as yours. However are there not penalties for frivolous litigation.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Originally posted by J'Pol@29 November 2003 - 18:11
    Though I do see how it entirely different when one has such a litigious culture as yours. However are there not penalties for frivolous litigation.
    In certain cases, yes, but there is always another step or appeal, too.

Judges used to be adept at tossing trivial proceedings out of court; today such decisiveness is rare, indeed-money, and/or it's lack, also plays a part.

I've known poor people who made their way by suing people.

I've known rich people who have oppressed others by the sheer weight of their (legal) change purse.

Both are animals of inclination.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@30 November 2003 - 00:08
    Both are animals of inclination.
    As are the regulars here.

I think we can let this thread pass into obscurity. It seems it has run it's natural course. We don't want to descend into pleasant, self-satisfied chatting. Or inquiring after the size of each others arses.

Unless someone has a stunning new contribution.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by J'Pol@29 November 2003 - 23:37
    I think we can let this thread pass into obscurity. It seems it has run it's natural course. We don't want to descend into pleasant, self-satisfied chatting. Or inquiring after the size of each others arses.

Unless someone has a stunning new contribution.
    No, don't say that - if you declare a thread dead then it automatically becomes a place where people can chat with their mates about how big their appendages are

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Originally posted by Lamsey@29 November 2003 - 21:04
    if you declare a thread dead then it automatically becomes a place where people can chat with their mates about how big their appendages are
    Did you bring this up for a reason, Liam?

And watch yourself around the Wee one-just 'cuz she's a big girl now, don't you go chatting about appendages and such.

J'Pol-

Let's you and I forego the spam, just this once, eh?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I find myself increasingly curious about the original complaintant.

We have three pages here devoted to the abstract methods of managing a complaint, yet we have no source knowlege at all about the particulars of this specific grievance.

Who is this person?
    Is the rest of his/her job so absolutely perfect that the nomenclature on some boxes is a noisome irritation?
    How does this person manage to deal with day to day life?

I still think that this is a prank run amok.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast