Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vmware Workstation

Poster
    I just installed VMWare 4.0.0-4460 and created a VM. Right now I'm installing Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition on that VM. It's weird, the whole concept of VM's. There was one Mac at the high school I went to, that if you hit Apple+X (I think) it switched to MS-DOS. I think that was a VM. It was the only Mac I've ever seen do it - it had a fully working (seemingly) installation of MS-DOS 5.0. Anyway, I'm also going to make a Longhorn VM... Longhorn isn't supported in the list! Do I just choose Other? Or XP Pro cuz that's what it's closest to? Or is it?

Also, any tips you can offer would be most appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Longhorn works, use XP or custom settings. I think mac and beos or some other one that starts with a B (?) are the only 2 that don't. OS/2 Warp 4 has given me problems off and on.
    I haven't found bridged networking to be too usefull, NAT seems to be the only way.

Right click the drive icon in the options and settings menu after you install and shut the virtual machine down and you'll see the defragmenter for it. Do it a few times right away to speed it up.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Virtual PC is better

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Why?
    because VPC runs slower and glitches more? takes more ram? has less options and compatibility?

Those aren't the qualities I look for in a good software

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    internet.news
    hmmm...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    internet.news
    what is vpc?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    well vmware messed up my comp somehow.. virtual pc didnt.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by internet.news@29 November 2003 - 23:21
    what is vpc?
    stop 'ing to try and increase your post count! (refering to the word 'hmm' you seem to use it in many topics)

and also learn to read the full topic..

vpc = virtual pc

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Man, you guys are really anal about things such as double posting and whatnot. Lurk the Disturbed boards for a day and see if you're not insane. I mean, I don't even notice that stuff anymore...

I'm still installing Windows 2003, though it'll finish up soon. I started before going to work, and well, it's still installing... I've been in and out.

I got an idea.

It's making 4GB virtual machines...can I burn these files to DVD-R? The point being, to archive them and be able to simply drop a preconfigured OS into VMW should I decide to reformat my hard drive.

Would that work, and if so, is it a good idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast