Thread: Dvd Burner Q's

ok, I'm looking to buy a DVD burner, as I am sick of having to convert movies to VCD/SVCD, then to find that my player, and more/less anyone elses player, does not support much of anything besides DVD.

1) If anyone could help me find a good deal, I would be very thankful

2) Also, When I buy one, where could I install it, as I have a CD burner in 1 of the slots, and a DVD player in the other? (The DVD player could go though, as I am finding little use for it)

Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Hi re q1 it would be an idea to state where you stay (roughly) as you may nbe looking for a deal in the us, uk etc. There are some good places listed in the topic re. recommened retailers or something like that.

q2 There are various schools of thought - ditch the dvd player as your burner will also play dvds OR ditch the cd re writer as you can do copies from dvd player to dvd writer and your dvd writer can copy cd&#39;s too. Best to wait for a couple of replies before making a decision, and you can always try out different combinations to see what suits you the best

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    DVD burners burn CDs as well, while usually their not as fast as your CD burner is, I&#39;ve seen them that burn cds at around 36x (which is a good speed).

So I&#39;d take out the CD burner, and leave the DVD-Rom, that way you can copy directly from one dvd to another.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I live in the US. Also, would I be able to copy directly from DVD to DVD with the CD Burner, or would I need to have the DVD player to do that?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by opivykid@29 November 2003 - 23:16
    I live in the US. Also, would I be able to copy directly from DVD to DVD with the CD Burner, or would I need to have the DVD player to do that?
    No, a CD burner will not play DVDs, so you&#39;re going to have to leave the DVD-Rom in the system to do DVD to DVD copying.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Very good DVD burner

IO Data HL DT ST GSA 4040B

excellent and fast.