Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drives

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+30 November 2003 - 22:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 30 November 2003 - 22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@1 December 2003 - 02:55
    im sure youll find his specs somewhere on the board, i remember seeing it posted a few times.&nbsp; &nbsp;
    http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=57060 [/b][/quote]
    Yeah.I have only unplugged it 2 times since I have had it.Not one Problem.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    i&#39;m not sure which to go with now...the external 160GB drive or another 120GB internal and a usb 2.0 caddy

if i go for the external, it&#39;s quite a bit more expensive, and quite a bit slower, however, it is bigger and more portable

if i go for internal, it should be faster, cheaper, but it&#39;s less portable and the caddy will lead to more noise

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Buy a DVD-Writer to back up your data, its more cost effective than another hard drive, because cost of each 4.7 Gb space is less than a pound.

You will find that however big the hard drive is you will eventually run out of space, so its better to put your data on dvd-r disks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    I have a usb 2.0 caddy and you can connect an internal hdd and use it as an external. The only problem with it is that you need an external power source.

Another cool thing with the hdd caddies is that you can connect any ide device to it.

I bought a hdd caddy and asked the guy if i can use it with a cd rom and he said no but i tried anyways and it worked.

Im thinking of using it for my DVD burner.

The caddy cost me AU&#036;100.

Like i said the only bad thing is the external power supply. If i put my mind to it i could make a battery power supply for it and then it would kick ass.

If you want a bigger hdd just for extra storage i think it would be better to get the dvd burner because fkn hdd&#39;s get corrupt and i hate that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by john54321@1 December 2003 - 03:41
    Buy a DVD-Writer to back up your data, its more cost effective than another hard drive, because cost of each 4.7 Gb space is less than a pound.

You will find that however big the hard drive is you will eventually run out of space, so its better to put your data on dvd-r disks.
    i&#39;ve kind of ruled out a dvd-rw already...i don&#39;t like having masses of discs lying about the house, it takes too long to find things. i&#39;d like to keep the choice between internal and external hard drives (even if that does make the least logical choice ).
    thanks for the input though

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i personally think they overheat a lot, and isn&#39;t any better than having one in ur pc. now, some of those hd enclosure thingies r pretty nice, especially if u leave the top off and let ur hd cool down. it&#39;s still portable. 4 me, either get an enclosure or don&#39;t bother. those external hd&#39;s are just too damn expensive

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@1 December 2003 - 04:43
    i personally think they overheat a lot, and isn&#39;t any better than having one in ur pc. now, some of those hd enclosure thingies r pretty nice, especially if u leave the top off and let ur hd cool down. it&#39;s still portable. 4 me, either get an enclosure or don&#39;t bother. those external hd&#39;s are just too damn expensive
    the reviews i&#39;ve read haven&#39;t mentioned any overheating problems, and the cost isn&#39;t really an issue, but thanks for the input

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+1 December 2003 - 01:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 1 December 2003 - 01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@1 December 2003 - 04:43
    the reviews i&#39;ve read haven&#39;t mentioned any overheating problems, and the cost isn&#39;t really an issue, but thanks for the input [/b][/quote]
    well, ur putting a hd in a plastic box. i mean, i my rig, i got a hd cooler chilling my 120gb, which makes it last longer. u can&#39;t do that with an external hd

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    some caddies come will fans built in to them im sure.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i got another idea about cooling if your worried, you could maybe buy the 5.25" version and it will give your more room for cooling and you could hook up a mount system, or im sure you will be able to but a 3.5-5.25 mount, or something along that line

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast