Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drives

ok, bumpity bump time...

i'm basically decided on getting an external drive now, i don't want to be faffing around with internal drives in caddies externally or internal drives mounted in 5.25" bays or anything

so i'm taking the easy (and more expensive) way out and going external

i've narrowed it down to 2 contenders:

Maxtor A14A250 250GB 7200rpm 8MB cache external drive or the Western Digital 250GB 7200rpm 8MB cache external drive

there's not really a price difference here so basically it comes down to the brand name

i've already got a western digital drive and am very pleased with it. i've never had a maxtor drive, but from word of mouth around here, i've heard they're a little dodgy.

can anyone offer any advice on either of them?

p.s. sorry Livy for you spending time thinking about getting an internal drive, only for me to say no to that idea
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ive had a maxtor 80gig for a few months now and its seemed fine, its alright about the caddy idea, i was kinda looking into it for a pcmcia caddy for a writer for ma laptop, but its a bit dearer than i wanted to spend.

but simply lookign at the 2 you posted i would go for the maxtor that wd looks pretty ugly. and it has a better reviwe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Originally posted by Livy@17 December 2003 - 01:16
    ive had a maxtor 80gig for a few months now and its seemed fine, its alright about the caddy idea, i was kinda looking into it for a pcmcia caddy for a writer for ma laptop, but its a bit dearer than i wanted to spend.

but simply lookign at the 2 you posted i would go for the maxtor that wd looks pretty ugly. and it has a better reviwe.
    yeah, i&#39;ve been swaying towards the maxtor aswell.
    it&#39;d look a lot better next to my aluminium case, and apart from the names, the only difference i can see is the 2 year warranty on the western digital

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    but you always know the bugger is gonna break when its outta warranty anyway, no matter how long it is, sods law.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Originally posted by Livy@17 December 2003 - 01:24
    but you always know the bugger is gonna break when its outta warranty anyway, no matter how long it is, sods law.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+17 December 2003 - 02:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 17 December 2003 - 02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@17 December 2003 - 01:24
    [/b][/quote]
    also you can save a few quid if you go for the firewire only maxtor. unless it has to be usb

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    just had a look again at this and now i want that again

i&#39;m torn once again
    i spent a while thinking about which to go for and now i&#39;m back at the start, only more confused :&#39;(

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if i were you i would go for the internal sata, unless u really need the portability of a external drive. and its save u money. which is always a good thing.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Originally posted by Livy@17 December 2003 - 01:33
    if i were you i would go for the internal sata, unless u really need the portability of a external drive. and its save u money. which is always a good thing.
    yeah, the scotsman in me is saying that i&#39;m crazy for not wanting to save money and gain performance and the lazy person in me is saying that i&#39;m stupid for wanting more hassle

at the end of the day, the sane choice is for the s-ata drive and the crazy one is for the external, but i still can&#39;t decide

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    come on show your true colours.
    S-ATA S-ATA S-ATA S-ATA S-ATA S-ATA

i mean if u dont need the portability go for s-ata drive, should be a bit quicker aswell. also its internal so u dont have a drive sitting on your desk. and less chance of it breaking if its internal aswell.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast