Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anti-virus Programs?

I've used NAV for around ten years - before Symantec bought it, and it's good. However, Sys Works installs lots of proggies you'll never use, plus it slows the system by about 10% (which they admit). One "Catch 22" to look out for is DL a "freebie" AV and then using a free webscan is that most of them do not scan compressed files - which your DLed AV is.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Originally posted by PcH@16 February 2003 - 21:18
    Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional.
    DITTO DITTO NAV 2003 PRO has caught allot of bad boys when downloading via KL B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Originally posted by notme+3 March 2003 - 16:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (notme @ 3 March 2003 - 16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PcH@16 February 2003 - 21:18
    Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional.
    DITTO DITTO NAV 2003 PRO has caught allot of bad boys when downloading via KL B) [/b][/quote]
    yep, NAV 2003 works for me&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    I have Norton AV and it&#39;s worked great for me&#33;*knock&#39;s on wood*

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Occasionally, one or the other will get a little ahead of the others on definitions, but that&#39;s not really usually the problem. At any rate, there&#39;s ample time between when the file is DLed and when one burns it, or shows it, to scan it with fresh definitions DLed. Remember that it&#39;s dormant and harmless, DLed, until you try to run it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    StraightEdge
    I use Panda anti-vir it is updated daily

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i use NAV, it seems fine to me

people who have speed problems, is probably because they have norton set to scan everything including compressed

i have doubts that the weekly updates do anything, virus&#39; don&#39;t change that much do they?

my NAV picked up the opaserv virus once (3 different types&#33 it didn&#39;t fix it but i think its because the way the virus works (edits win.ini) i had to go to the symantec website and d/l a little proggy designed to kill opaerv

i used to have pc-cillin but it was old and didn&#39;t work properly with windows ME
    the online scanner is kinda good (if a bit slow) but doesn&#39;t give you real-time scan does it?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Actually, they come up with new ones each week and modify old ones, usually in the direction of making them more destructive. The scan does go faster, if it doesn&#39;t scan within compressed folders, but I always right-click and scan a ZIP, etc., before I open it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Poster
    I&#39;ve been using Avast(free when you go to the website & register the key, otherwise it&#39;s like a 3 month trial) and so far it&#39;s been great. It&#39;s found a couple of trojans and found this win32 hantaner(seems rampant on Kazaa) at least 6 times,and cleaned everything up nicely. It also auto-updates at least a couple of times a week, so far so good. Considering no one else has mentioned it, I wonder if there is something rotton about it that I&#39;m unaware of? Anyone else use/have used Avast, and any thoughts??

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Im using Norton 2003, seems to work ok. They have a weekly update on wednesdays and if there is a new virus on the "market" that needs attention, one can install manually definition files, they are available as soon as they found a cure.

I also have Sygate Firewall on 99%. Sometimes i turn it off if im playing games online, it seems to slow things down a bit.

Norman is good Antivirus app too, and from the site i can find muchos info of latest viruses. There&#39;s a list on the right side; http://www.norman.com/

Im thinking, do these Antivirus companys co-operate together? As if theres a new virus found, do they inform each other about it?
    Spoiler: Show

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast