Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review The Music Your Listening To

old school
    :confused: Well I figure we might not get a "Reviews" subforum put in each world so this thread is as close as we can get. Maybe it can open up the idea to the Mods or Admin.

Feel free to request a review if you notice someone has an album your interested in, or feel free to post a review of an album/single your currently listening to or have listened to in the past.

Old and New music welcom, All music genres welcome, All styles of reviewing welcome, and of course all forum members welcome!
    Maybe we'll all get to see those great paws of CrumbCat once again.

2. Music   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS

I'll keep this short and sweet. Tracklist as follows:

01 Same Direction 3:15
    02 Out Of Control 2:42
    03 What Happened To Us? 4:00
    04 Escape 3:44
    05 Just One 3:19
    06 Lucky 3:00
    07 From The Heart 3:03
    08 The Reason 3:52
    09 Let It Out 3:18
    10 Unaffected 3:33
    11 Never There 3:03
    12 Disappear 5:06
    13 Never Saw It Coming (Bonus Track) 3:20
    14 Open Your Eyes (Bonus Track) 3:44

First thing I noticed is that this CD is very short. 48 minutes? We have another Linkin Park on our hands. This CD includes two bonus tracks, available only on the Japanese release... so the american version will be even shorter, about 40 minutes. Disgusting ain't it? Anyway, track 1 is decent, track 2 was is the new single. 3 is heavy and tight, 4 is a ballad. Track 5 reminds me a bit of Blindside... The unique Hoobastank sound is back, nice and tight. Overall, its a decent rip, I'd give it 8 out of 10. So far so good... anyone else care to comment?
    Proud member of MDS

3. Music   -   #3
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

1. Vaseline
    2. Down
    3. Wicked Garden
    4. Big Empty
    5. Plush
    6. Big Bang Baby
    7. Creep
    8. Lady Picture Show
    9. Tripping' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
    10. Interstate Love Song
    11. All in the Suit That You Wear
    12. Sex Type Thing
    13. Days of the Week
    14. Sour Girl
    15. Plush [Acoustic Version]

OK first Thing its not relay a good idea to review greatest hits Cd's as there is no point

however I will review some aspects of this.

First thing I poped in the disk and say the time 58 mins?? I find most greatest hits go for 70+ first thing I noticed 4 of their big hits ain't on there!!!

Meatplow
    Art School Girlfriend
    No Way Out
    Sex and Violence

I ask myself why?? they still had another 22 minutes left to fill the CD up, as for the 2 tracks I hadn't heard before Plush (acoustic) and Suit that you wear,

Plush acoustic Of course the song that was a big influence eon me growing up as a teenager I used to play that song in bands and do our own acoustic version which has some killer chords Scott sings the acoustic version with such emotion on this the new single?? Well not sure what year it was but Scott's got his old Harsher voice happening in this song which is great.

As for being a greatest Hits CD i feel no point in rating it

4. Music   -   #4
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over

This is a three disc set with the majority of the material already released disc 3 has material that was previously unreleased. I haven't stopped listening to the third disc in this set since the day I bought it. All of these songs are B sides and live performances that Bruce has done over the years. All the songs are classic Bruce Springsteen with the except of Missing witch has a very different sound. The last song is a very different version of Countin' On A Miracle from The Rising which has a country blues kinda and I didn't even recognize the song at first. All in all its a great album no matter if you are a fan or not.

5. Music   -   #5
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Originally posted by Gutter@3 December 2003 - 10:09
    Maybe we'll all get to see those great paws of CrumbCat once again.

As requested........and thanks for the great topic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swell - Whenever You're Ready

Artist: Swell
    Album Title: Whenever You're Ready
    Date of Release: Sep 9, 2003
    Genre: Indie / Rock

01 Soon Enough 02:33
    02 Next To Nothing 05:06
    03 War Comes Down 03:46
    04 Convince Us 04:02
    05 So Easy, So Cool 03:50
    06 In The Morning 04:17
    07 Say Goodbye 03:41
    08 Sunny Sun Son 04:13
    09 Everyday Comes Everynight 05:13
    10 Better Than Oil 05:15
    11 Word Gifts 04:13
    12 Miss It 05:19
    13 Sun (Reprise) 02:58
    14 Always Everything 07:11
    15 California, Arizona 04:23
    TOTAL TiME: 66:00 min

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While this is the first album I've heard from this band of indie rockers from San Francisco, Swell released its first album in 1990 and has kept a small following among college students and indie rock fans ever since, while staying relatively under the radar.

Whenever You're Ready was a pleasure to listen to the first time through, and it just seemed to get better each time I played it. The album is perfect indie rock. While it's easygoing on the surface, there is also complexity heard throughout the album. Each of the 15 tracks on the album is worth listening to.

As for standout tracks, I have to admit I equally enjoyed each song on the album. This is one of those Cds that you put in the player and let it play through in it's entirety. It is perfect for those times you want to relax with a nice glass of wine, or have the guys over for a evening of playing pool - it plays well in the background yet has a way of keeping your constant attention to hear what the music is doing.

The songs on Whenever You're Ready don't sound quite like anything on today's mainstream radio, and that's always a plus in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CrumbCat's rating:

8 out of 10 Paws

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This review has been brought to you as a courtesy of CrumbCat.
    © Copyright 2003 by CrumbCat, all rights reserved.

6. Music   -   #6
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    Some reviews:

This is related to music so I'll post a review here:

Peter Gabriel - Growing UP Live DVD

The latest DVD release from Peter Gabriel somewhat failed to meet my expectations. It's obvious that there was a lot of effort which went into the making of his live shows but it doesn't transfer well to home video. For example there were a lot of visual projections that I don't think you can appreciate without being there in the audience experiencing them. I will give you that they looked amazing but it just doesn't seem that imersive when I'm watching it on my home TV.
    The concert was great although I was disappointed that I didn't get to hear a lot of the songs off of the UP album (I Grieve, No Way Out etc..) but the fact that Mercy Street was on the DVD makes it all worthwhile.
    The picture and sound quality are indeed perfect.
    The extras aren't at all that bad. The Elbow Remix of More Than This is stunning.
    It comes with the extra Noodle program which allows you to remix Growing Up (I can't tell you whether or not it's good because my graphics card won't let me install the program).

But my rating:
    out of Five smilies.
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

7. Music   -   #7
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    Originally posted by Jibbler@3 December 2003 - 11:52

First thing I noticed is that this CD is very short. 48 minutes? We have another Linkin Park on our hands. This CD includes two bonus tracks, available only on the Japanese release... so the american version will be even shorter, about 40 minutes. Disgusting ain't it? Anyway, track 1 is decent, track 2 was is the new single. 3 is heavy and tight, 4 is a ballad. Track 5 reminds me a bit of Blindside... The unique Hoobastank sound is back, nice and tight. Overall, its a decent rip, I'd give it 8 out of 10. So far so good... anyone else care to comment?
    OK ok here we go.... MY version of this cd, since i happen to love them so so very much .....

great opening song, lots of energy...

"Out Of Control" is, of course, the single, which rocks....it seems as if theyre straying away from the so-called rumour of an Incubus-wannabe that was apparent on their first album...

"what happened to us" sounds alot like a song that couldve gone on their first album and fit right in...though it DOES have some nice effects that werent present on "hoobastank"

"escape" sounds almost like theyre trying to outdo themselves, they shouldve left those electronic drums out of it....

"just one" reminds me of, yes, blindside and a few other bands...got some punk acentuations in there...

"lucky" is a lovesong, which hoobastank seem to have alot of...got a nice "fuel" sound with the guitars..

"from the heart" is a good, solid Hoobastank song, very characteristic of their overall sound, combined from their first and this cd...

"the reason" ......hmmmphhh...i cant put on a finger on it....nice ballad...another "love" song

"let it out" , nice nice... i cant get over his vocals, fucking awesome..

"unaffected" the type of song that i can fall asleep to...i cant really say much else except that hooastank seem to be tightening up their sound, refining it, very nicely if i might add

"never there" again, very characteristic of the hoobastank sound... the fast power chords, and i think the guitarist seems to be experimenting with alternative chords...i cant explain it, id have to show you in person, cause i really dont know the correct term for it...adding a note thats a whole step up from the rest of the chord makes it sound fuller and richer...but you can notice a difference if its not there..

"disappear" ..... his voice almost has "the calling" tone in his singing...btw, the switching to acoustic and back is very nice, gets all quiet with just his vocals and the acoustic....then brings in some band instruments, sounds like a violin and something else....

"never saw it" , why is it a BONUS track, it belongs on the cd with all the others...

"open your eyes" is this a cover song?? it sure as hell sounds like one....it sounds vaguely familiar, but i dont know who...

there, thats much more complete....sorry i had to listen to the cd twice over to write this....

the word "sophomore effort" comes to mind, usually a band's best cd.... a MUST-have for all hoobastank fans...
    if youre not into hoobastank, then you might not give this cd a very high rating....its really nothing like their first cd, short of a few inflections in some of the songs...
    for example, him raising his voice and almost yelling in some of the songs, most notably "same direction", are very charateristic

btw.... though this has nothing to do with the review, i've met all the bandsmates before....at McDonalds, believe it or not.....

8. Music   -   #8
    blink-182 - Untitled - 2003
    tracklisting and cover taken from Amazon.co.uk

1. Feeling This
    2. Obvious
    3. I Miss You
    4. Violence
    5. Stockholm Syndrome
    6. Down
    7. The Fallen Interlude
    8. Go
    9. Asthenia
    10. Always
    11. Easy Target
    12. All Of This
    13. Here's Your Letter
    14. I'm Lost Without You
    15. Not Now (UK Bonus Track)
    16. Anthem Part Two (Live UK Bonus Track)
    17. Feeling This (Video)
    18. Obvious (Video)
    19. Down/The Fallen Interlude (Video)
    20. Violence (Video)

blink-182 have been around since the early 90's. In recent years they have lost a lot of respect from "true punk rockers" (is there such a thing?), amid cries that "they've sold out!!!!omg!!wtf!!". This is true in a lot of ways ,including literally - as their tours are invariably sponsored by some corporate outfit or another, like Honda for example. but a band shouldn't be dismissed just for being on MTV and accepting the big bucks, we're here for the music.

So the current state of play - Blink get mocked by many, but the flip side is that they have many fans who adore them. it shouldn't be forgotten that Blink helped enlighten many young kids that there was more to music than Britney or Christina. (although some would argue that they are just as mainstream).

Anyways, onwards to the review of the latest album.

Initially i didn't think much of this album, but persevered and gave it another listen. It's an album you really have to listen to all the way through a few times.

blink-182 have dropped the immature humour that was a feature of Take Off Your Pants and Jacket (2001) (referred to as TOYPAJ from here on.), and this can only be a good thing. sure, immature can be funny, but they were scraping the barrel on TOYPAJ. This definitely can't be labelled even pop-punk now.

The old blink sound creeps in here and there (old as in Enema, not as in Buddha or Dude Ranch), familiar hooks and riffs are scattered throughout, but on the whole the general 'sound' of the album is different.

Lyrically, the album is much darker than previous efforts, though not in a whiny, emo way. You won't hear anything about Grandpa's and hot dogs anyways. (actually, not strictly true, there is a letter read by a woman written by Mark Hoppus' grandfather during the 2nd World War to his lover, which is quite moving actually).

Stand-out songs are Stockholm Syndrome and All of This (featuring Robert Smith of The Cure on vocals).

This is definitely a "studio" album, i don't think the songs will fare well in a live setting.

Overall, this album is highly listenable, and i don't find myself skipping tracks like i do on some albums.

The Faceman's rating

3 and 1/2 STFU's out of 5.

9. Music   -   #9
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by the_faceman@4 December 2003 - 22:48
    The Faceman's rating

3 and 1/2 STFU's out of 5.

Now that's original

10. Music   -   #10
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    The Streets - original Pirate Material

Tracklist

1. Turn the Page (Skinner) - 3:15
    2. Has It Come to This? (Skinner) - 4:05
    3. Let's Push Thing's Forward (Skinner) - 3:51
    4. Sharp Darts (Skinner) - 1:34
    5. Same Old Thing (Skinner) - 3:22
    6. Geezer's Need Excitement (Skinner) - 3:46
    7. It's Too Late (Skinner) - 4:11
    8. Too Much Brandy (Skinner) - 3:02
    9. Don't Mug Yourself (Skinner) - 2:40
    10. Who Got the Funk? (Skinner) - 1:50
    11. The Irony of It All (Skinner) - 3:30
    12. Weak Become Heroes (Skinner) - 5:33
    13. Who Dares Wins (Skinner) - 0:35
    14. Stay Positive. (Skinner) - 6:17

courtesy of allmusic^.

Review

Defining british garage/hip hop, the streets are funny while interesting and true to life. songs about drugs, problems with "birds" not bitches as mike skinner puts it so elegantly.
    I can associate with most of the songs on this especially the song "too much brandy" which has the line "in its own little way my body was trying to say that you better stop drinking brandy".

original as the title of the album says, mixing jungle beats and hip hop style mc'ing with the whit of mike skinner, this album is a sure fire hit. it hit the shops in 2002 if you don't own a copy i'd advise you to get it now.

Spider_dudes Rating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast