Thread: Is It Possible To............

Rizindon's Avatar Poster
    i want to reinstall xp becasue some of my system files had worms or something that spybot found so i deleted them now keep on getting errors like system32 not found and shit like that.

Wat i was wondering was is it possible to put the udpdates on cd and install them later instead of havin to download them all again

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    what u mean? what updates? If you are talking about Service Pack 1..... yea u can back it up as long as you know where u put it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Once they have been installed, I don't think so.
    You can try, I guess.

If it doesn't work, after you reinstall, go to the Update Center, have your PC scanned and then write down all the critical/recommended updates. Then go to the MS database and download them from there. You can then save them to a CD and install anytime you like or reinstall, should this happen again.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Rizindon's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by DWk@3 December 2003 - 18:10
    what u mean? what updates? If you are talking about Service Pack 1..... yea u can back it up as long as you know where u put it
    i meant from microsoft updates critical/ recommended etc

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    You're getting system32.exe not found errors because the virus executable (system32.exe) has been disabled or removed.

Why not just finish the job and clean the rest of the virus out?

Symantec has tools for each virus.

Use your keyword, system32.exe , and get the corresponding removal tool from their site.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    You can download the SP1 from microsoft and save it somewhere for use later. You cannot however save the other recommended updates or patches as they are installed online direct from M$.

Peace
    UKMan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    You can save those too.
    When the download is complete, before install begins, close the update. Locate the WU temp folder and copy it to another location.
    Go back to windows update and choose the same updates. It will find the previous folder and install them without re downloading. (it looks like it downloads, but only the progress bar is active)
    The new folder you created will have all those updates with separate installers. Only the activeX script will be missing. You could write a batch file to install them all if you wanted to.
    Copy this way each time you go back for updates and then archive the entire folder when you're done.

If any drivers are downloaded and archived, you will probably need to replace those in the driver properties GUI to install them.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Thx balamm - didnt realise that

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You can download and save all updates to disk with windows catalog:-

Here's a walkthrough.

Originally posted by The elder geek
    However, what if you want to know about all the updates that have been issued relating to a specific XP product or piece of hardware? Microsoft has recently upgraded Windows Update to include another section called Windows Update Catalog, accessible through the same Windows Update interface. From the Windows Update Catalog you can review all the operating system updates that have been issued as well as the driver updates for hardware devices. To access Windows Update Catalog: