Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Again?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Worse, oh much worse.

With heroin you know what you're getting.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Update:

Although I am still unable to post results of the burnin test with temps, I have cobbled in a switch to turn the motherboard fan on and off, thus checking it's effectiveness.

I am getting a consistent rise/fall of three deg C at the CPU with this fan on/off. I am going to run the burnin test anyway and start with the fan off, then activate it halfway through and see if I can end up with a LOWER temp than I started with.
    That would be impressive, a result I have yet to see on my rig.

I wish that someone else would try this out and confirm/repudiate these results.
    I know it's asking a lot, but I'd love to know whether ( and why) this might be as effective as it initially appears.

Who's feeling adventurous?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Okay folks.

Just ran the burnin test and the results were as I had hoped.
    Keep in mind that the absolute temps are essentially irrelevant, being dependent on ambient room temp ( quite warm ATM as the furnace has come alive), it's the delta values that we're interested in.

I switched off the fan and let the machine sit for a few moments.
    At the start of the test the CPU temp was 38C.
    At the 7 1/2 minute mark the CPU was at 41C and I activated the fan.
    At 15 minutes the CPU was 36C.

Now ( 5-7 minutes after the test concluded) the CPU is a steady 34C.

I shall duplicate this test a few more times, just to verify the consistency of the outcome, but it looks very promising to me so far.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 December 2003 - 00:22
    nice work clocker! very nice work. go post ur pics on forums.extremeoverclocking.com. see wat they say bout ur case. i'd say not bad at all. nice cable flu. might work a bit on the air tunnel things (forgot the real name), they're kinda blocking the view, and do u really need all of them?

but nice work dude. how much $ did u spend on this piece of shit, i mean beauty? lol
    Abu, what is "cable flu"?

The Thermaltake ducts may "block the view" as you say, but so what?
    I would much prefer an obstructed view of a cool CPU to a excellent view of a molten AMD ( bit of exaggeration there).
    All of my testing so far has led me to conclude that, in order to be really effective, a fan has to be as near as possible to it's intended target. Just mounting a fan in the general vicinity and hoping that it will do some good doesn't cut it.

Your results may vary.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker+5 December 2003 - 10:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 5 December 2003 - 10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@5 December 2003 - 00:22
    nice work clocker&#33; very nice work. go post ur pics on forums.extremeoverclocking.com. see wat they say bout ur case. i&#39;d say not bad at all. nice cable flu. might work a bit on the air tunnel things (forgot the real name), they&#39;re kinda blocking the view, and do u really need all of them?

but nice work dude. how much &#036; did u spend on this piece of shit, i mean beauty? lol
    Abu, what is "cable flu"?

The Thermaltake ducts may "block the view" as you say, but so what?
    I would much prefer an obstructed view of a cool CPU to a excellent view of a molten AMD ( bit of exaggeration there).
    All of my testing so far has led me to conclude that, in order to be really effective, a fan has to be as near as possible to it&#39;s intended target. Just mounting a fan in the general vicinity and hoping that it will do some good doesn&#39;t cut it.

Your results may vary. [/b][/quote]
    wow. this is scary. i actually know more than the hardware world master himself. lol. jk. cable flu is the street name for cable organization. all ur cables r tucked away and not sticking out. that&#39;s called cable flu. my pc is all messed up cuz i got no time to mess with it. but i do tuck them to the edges so they don&#39;t block my airflow

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 December 2003 - 14:56
    wow. this is scary. i actually know more than the hardware world master himself. lol. jk.

No one person can know everything Abu,

Clocker hasn&#39;t reached the level of Hardware World God (Yet),
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    computer looks nice

too bad i dunt hav time or money to do all tht

My Blog
    I'm still here.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@5 December 2003 - 17:05
    computer looks nice

yea same here. none of my cables are rounded, and i don&#39;t have the time to make them rounded. also all of my psu cables are hanging in front of my ram. (sigh). i&#39;ll have to find time to work some cables to the back

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    cable flu is the street name for cable organization. all ur cables r tucked away and not sticking out. that&#39;s called cable flu
    Oh.
    I guess I have never been on that particular street.
    I really should get out more.

BTW Abu, believe it or not, I took your advice and posted at Overclockers.com forum.

Very interesting place.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+5 December 2003 - 23:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 5 December 2003 - 23:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@5 December 2003 - 17:05
    computer looks nice&nbsp;

yea same here. none of my cables are rounded, and i don&#39;t have the time to make them rounded. also all of my psu cables are hanging in front of my ram. (sigh). i&#39;ll have to find time to work some cables to the back [/b][/quote]
    heck&#33; i dont cant even see my memory i put all my DAMN ribbon ide cables on top so it doesnt block the HSF lol

the only thing i did for my computer wuz this summer i put holes on the side of the case lol

my dad was like y dunt u jus throw water in there

and i only hav 3 FANS&#33;in total lol&#33;

My Blog
    I'm still here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123