Thread: Upgrade To Xp Pro

Poster
    i am thinking of upgrading to xp pro.

i am thinking of buying a new motherboard with a amd 2.2gig and ram and fan etc etc...however after reading a computer mag about doing a upgrade it made mention of needing to format your hard drive and setting it up with partitions.

as i am running win 98 se with 4 partitions each 14gig in size will xp wipe all info including partitions etc, or will it just wipe off what is in c drive only????

i have backed up and stored alot of files and other stuff to disk but would prefer not to go down the line of redoing all the partitions.

any help or advice would be helpful.

i have never used anything else other than win 98. please make replys simple and easy to understand.

thanks zolaisugly

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    if you are getting a new motherboard, etc. etc.
    then you will most likely need to do a fresh install, the drivers and such will have a fit if you just try to stick the old install onto the new motherboard (it can be done, but it is MUCH more trouble than its worth)

and please, dont upgrade, get the full version and do a clean install

you'll be much happier in the end

/end my 2 cents

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    sorry i may not have made my self very clear when posting this, when i say upgrade i do mean a full fresh clean install. i know i will need to format c drive and install with new drivers etc but will xp format all of hard drive and delete my partition as well??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    no just the partition you choose to install windows xp on will be formatted

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    thanks kunal you have laid my mind to rest.

will go ahead with purchase of new board and hopefully very soon will have a better machine for it here hoping anyway.

thanks again zolaisugly

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FST Retiree
    when you boot from the xp cd, first go to the recovery console (press "r" at the first screen) and format the partition you will install xp to manually. at the prompt, use this command.....
    Code:
    format c: /fs:ntfs
    you should also convert the other partitions to ntfs as well to be more reliable with xp. at the prompt, use this command.....
    Code:
    convert x: /fs:ntfs
    replace the "x:" with the drive letter for the other partitions..

as with any major operation, you should back up any important data before proceeding with the install of xp. if you do the above, there should be no data loss (except on the formatted c: partition) and all partitions will remain the same as they were before (except for the filesystem change).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You don't need to go into the recovery console at all.
    As you begin the installation it will ask you if you wish to format and if so which type do you prefer.
    Choose full format ntfs.
    After you are finished with the install you can go into My Computer, right click on each individual partition (i.e. "drive, drive:E, etc.) and change the format from there.
    It's easy.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Make yourself a slipstreamed version with sp1 or else the update will chew up 500 megs easily.... just a tip.

h**p://7mares.terravista.pt/xaliasx/xpss.html