Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test Drive Anonx For Free (10 Days)

Poster
    I read your post 007.....hehe, and I just clicked on the link again and read it again, but didn't see anything talking about my concerns. I noticed the copy of the first page of Steve Gibson's site, but that doesn't answer my questions.

All in All this looks pretty good, but I would still like Anonx to address my concerns.

Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Double Agent
    like i said, you are fine

the info yo saw on steve's site just indicated the server were able to contact the proxy server you are on and able to make a connection (typical of proxies). You needn't worry over this

if you do a port scan on port 139 of the proxy serve you are on you'll find that this port is open, and therefore was able to make a connection.

all proxies have this port OPEN

you can do a simple test with anonx on AND off and see the difference

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ugc@9 December 2003 - 04:39
    I just bought it. It is the EASIEST proxy I have ever seen to get up and running.

I sent an email to support asking one question. Hopefully you might be able to answer it here.

Question is:

After I bought and installed Anonx, I went to Steve Gibson's security site (with Anonx on) at http://grc.com/default.htm and got some results that I am not sure how to read. In some parts, it looks like he is talking about YOUR computer (the proxy), and in others, it appears he is refering to mine. I am just asking to clear up the concerns I, (and maybe others) have. The following is a copy and paste of some of the report:

1. Preliminary Internet connection established!
    Your computer has accepted an anonymous connection from another machine it knows nothing about! (That's not good.) This ShieldsUP! web server has been permitted to connect to your computer's highly insecure NetBIOS File and Printer Sharing port (139). Subsequent tests conducted on this page, and elsewhere on this website, will probe more deeply to determine the extent of this system's vulnerability. But regardless of what more is determined, the presence and availability of some form of Internet Server HAS BEEN CONFIRMED within this machine . . . and it is accepting anonymous connections!

2. Remotely connected to your NetBIOS system!
    This computer is exposing its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. This is called "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" or "NBT" for short. This is a security risk because it gives anyone in the world a point of entry to your system. Connecting to your computer is NOT something that anyone on the Internet should be allowed to do . . . but we've just done it! The following pages provide information about the consequences and your options for increasing your system's security.

In the email I sent, I included the FULL page in a .zip attachment.
    Maybe AnonX is a bunch of bullshit crafted by anti-piracy groups likeEarth Station 5 was.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    I guess I missed this post, I just sent AnonXO a PM asking why they didn't have a trial period...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    1. Preliminary Internet connection established!
    Your computer has accepted an anonymous connection from another machine it knows nothing about! (That's not good.) This ShieldsUP! web server has been permitted to connect to your computer's highly insecure NetBIOS File and Printer Sharing port (139). Subsequent tests conducted on this page, and elsewhere on this website, will probe more deeply to determine the extent of this system's vulnerability. But regardless of what more is determined, the presence and availability of some form of Internet Server HAS BEEN CONFIRMED within this machine . . . and it is accepting anonymous connections!

James is right we have to have this port open to establish a VPN connection. It is on the Server. It may or may not be open on your box. Personal Note: Use a firewall like ZoneAlarm always.

2. Remotely connected to your NetBIOS system!
    This computer is exposing its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. This is called "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" or "NBT" for short. This is a security risk because it gives anyone in the world a point of entry to your system. Connecting to your computer is NOT something that anyone on the Internet should be allowed to do . . . but we've just done it! The following pages provide information about the consequences and your options for increasing your system's security.

Well, of course its exposed I am allowing user to come and go out at will. This is the server not your box.

Just post any questions that you have I will be glad to anwser them.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Arm@9 December 2003 - 08:37
    Maybe AnonX is a bunch of bullshit crafted by anti-piracy groups likeEarth Station 5 was.
    well if you think it's bullshit why did you post about it?

just dont use it nobody is pointing a gun to ur head

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Just so you guys know, I checked out my PC, and all the ports are closed..or..monitored by my firewall. All the info I posted earlier from Steve Gibsons site seems to be about the Proxy server and not my PC.

This is a Very Good Setup with Anonx, and the speed is outstanding considering it is a proxy server.

And every check that I could do in regards to my IP getting out in the mainstream has come back as:

" I am surfin' anonymously"

This is software that you NEED to have if you are reading this. No question about it.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    do people pay for this?

isnt there free alternatives around?

or a crack or something or am i missing something?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    I prefer to look at it like this....

Pay $5.95/month now or pay $1,000.00's potentially later.

Not to mention, I can rest easy while sharing files now.

And you really can't beat the price (yes I am aware that many of you think free is the only way, but in the real world that is not how things work. You just gotta pick and choose what you think is a fair price and pay it)

I have tried others lately (and I know there are plenty out there I haven't tried) with no luck. And it is very easy to use(as proved by the fact that I am using it )

You have nothing to lose by trying the free 10 day trial. See if you think it is worth it.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by tracydani@9 December 2003 - 17:17
    I prefer to look at it like this....

Pay $5.95/month now or pay $1,000.00's potentially later.

Not to mention, I can rest easy while sharing files now.

And you really can't beat the price (yes I am aware that many of you think free is the only way, but in the real world that is not how things work. You just gotta pick and choose what you think is a fair price and pay it)

I have tried others lately (and I know there are plenty out there I haven't tried) with no luck. And it is very easy to use(as proved by the fact that I am using it )

You have nothing to lose by trying the free 10 day trial. See if you think it is worth it.

TD
    But surely for that $5.95 a month you may just as well use a regulated site like ITunes or something? So what's the point?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast