Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent

Debaser
    I was downloading a huge game about 2 gigs, finally after about 3 or 4 days it got up to 99% complete, when all of a sudden my computer completely locks up, I did a reboot and tried to resume it from where it had left off, but when I tried to resume the dl all my previous data was gone! I was at 99% for god sakes! For some reason I couldn't stop laughing, i was madder than all hell but I found it funny

Any idea why BT does that? not just me is it?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    its not bittorent it was your pc who crashed...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    yea just like back in the day when kazaa crashed while downloading those downloads would disapear but the ones on pause wouldnt. just live with it and when downloading big things like that, remember to stop downloading and then restart everyonce in a while so that u can carry on from the last save point if your comp crashes.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Strange, that's not happened to me yet The only time I had trobles was when I would restart the torrent in the wrong folder or something.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Haz@10 December 2003 - 09:14
    I was downloading a huge game about 2 gigs, finally after about 3 or 4 days it got up to 99% complete, when all of a sudden my computer completely locks up, I did a reboot and tried to resume it from where it had left off, but when I tried to resume the dl all my previous data was gone! I was at 99% for god sakes! For some reason I couldn't stop laughing, i was madder than all hell but I found it funny

Any idea why BT does that? not just me is it?
    Hehe I know how that feels

When I was Downloading Return of the King after 1.8 gigs it crashed at 98.5% I was back to about 10% afterwards

It sucks but there isnt much you can do against it once it happened best is to do what scribblec said. And believe me I do now.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Debaser
    ok, well good to know it just my computer then.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Are you sure that you used the same torrent file to restart the download? If used a different torrent it would start from the beginning as it would not recognise the previous data. If the file names are the same (i.e. game.full.flt) then it would overwrite all the previous data.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Debaser
    Yeah, well when I first saw it was starting over i stopped it then made sure I was using the one I was at 99% on, I checked and double checked the folder and it just said file size 0 Kb's.

What I really want to know is why my computer just decided to lock up at that particular time, I was using the regular BT client not Shadows, and Shadows has never locked up my PC before so maybe that has something to do with it.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Haz@10 December 2003 - 22:43
    Yeah, well when I first saw it was starting over i stopped it then made sure I was using the one I was at 99% on, I checked and double checked the folder and it just said file size 0 Kb's.

What I really want to know is why my computer just decided to lock up at that particular time, I was using the regular BT client not Shadows, and Shadows has never locked up my PC before so maybe that has something to do with it.
    The original BT client is a huge resource hog. When the download ticks over form 99% to completion, the file has to be assembled from all the chunks of data that you have downloaded causing a huge stress to your system. Which is what probably caused the system to lock up.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Debaser
    Oh I see, well that makes sense, and my computer isn't that great to begin with.

I'll have to remember that if I ever go to dl something that big again. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast