Thread: Sci-fi Movies?

Poster
    Can anyone think of any good Sci-Fi movies simlar to Alien/Aliens or Event Horizon? I havn't seen many from this genre, but these I did and enjoyed a great deal. I also quite liked Sphere. I'm not a big Star Treck fan or Babylon 5 type person, I don't like actually seeing all these aliens communicating with the humans as friends and enemys really, I preffer the more humans travelling on a generation ship (or a long journey using stasis) and everything going downhill.

Alien/s and Event Horizon are perfect examples of what I mean. Anyway, if anyone knows of any recommendations please reply, i'm in the mood for some good movies.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Independence Day
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    I've seen that, thanks anyway. and to anyone who says "check a few posts down, it's already posted" yeah I know, I just noticed. This question is slightly differnet, a more restricted requiring less results than those churned out in a normal sci-fi request. its like the difference of saying "give me good music" and "give me good rock music" sorta.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    the Vin Diesel movie "Pitch Black" is a pretty good Aliens rip-off. "Starship Troopers" has a marines-vs-insects premise that's kinda similar to Aliens, though it's more of a satire on militarism than a space-horror movie.

also, check out John Carpenter's "The Thing" and the Stephen King movie "Dreamcatcher." those take place on Earth, but they have a nice, creepy sense of paranoia about them which is similar to Alien.

and you might enjoy David Cronenberg's "Shivers," which deals with disgusting alien parasites slowly overrunning a large apartment building. i think it might've had some influence on Alien. from a review of Shivers:
    The parasite in this movie is about the size and shape of a. . . well, let's just say it's rather Freudian. In any case, there are scenes where it leaps onto faces and where it bursts from victim's exploded bellies. That, plus the apartment complex name ("Starliner") makes it an easy leap to Dan O'Bannon's parasite story, ALIEN. In fact, when Cronenberg showed this movie at a German film festival several years after it was made, a German audience member stood up during a question and answer period afterwards and accused Cronenberg of ripping off ALIEN. When Cronenberg pointed out that SHIVERS was made (1975 vs. 1979) years before ALIEN and that Dan O'Bannon has admitted that he saw SHIVERS before he wrote ALIEN, the German said, "Ah. So now we know who the thief was."

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    zinc1's Avatar Poster
    here are a few Sci-Fi movies

Virus
    Lost in Space
    The Last Starfighter
    Battle Beyond the Stars (Futuristic Magnificent Seven)
    Total recall
    Fifth Element
    Ghosts of Mars
    Red Planet
    Bladerunner

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    How about starship Troopers???

its really a send up of Sci Fi Movies
    same guy who did Robocop and Total Recall

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝