Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Vs. 98

I have 98 on my PC now. i also have a copy of 2000 pro. i have heard 2000 is a lot more stable. but that could be hearsay. is it worth the upgrade. and can i update my 2000 pro on the microsoft update page as easy as i can 98 with any serial number. or is 2000 like XP in which you have to change your key to update

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    if it was any one else I would tell them to upgread asap, but since it's you, I think you should get windows ME are stay at 98

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by muchspl2@11 December 2003 - 11:23
    if it was any one else I would tell them to upgread asap, but since it's you, I think you should get windows ME are stay at 98
    lol .. relax muchspl2 and untie your underware

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    98 is better than 2000 for me.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    definitley win2k with sp4 installed. it works very stable on a recent upgrade i did for a friend of mine
    he had a 350 mhz processer
    128 ram
    10 gig hdd

worked very stable!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by camille@11 December 2003 - 14:18
    did you use the NTFS file system with win 2k? did you do a clean install? if not i think you try it, win 2k is a very stable os

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by Kunal+11 December 2003 - 16:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kunal &#064; 11 December 2003 - 16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-camille@11 December 2003 - 14:18
    did you use the NTFS file system with win 2k? did you do a clean install? if not i think you try it, win 2k is a very stable os[/b][/quote]
    i agree ...

i run a w2k (ntfs) network in school and it works very stable, e.g. never ever we had a crash or other malfunctions

but at home i run win98se (with the latest updates) and this for me does also a good job though i had tons of software installed

but now maybe i upgrade to win2k cause the klr from rocko doesn&#39;t match my "old" love win98se

greetings @all kpp_user

cu uncle_cracker

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    depending on whether you need the stability, eg if you keep your computer on for long times etc. 2k will run alot better, but it will take longer to boot.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yeh go with 2000 its a nice stable os that uses less resources than xp making it ideal for lower spec pc&#39;s, win98,98se and me are based on the win95 platform with IMO 98se being the most stable and winme being the most unstable (ok if you like the colour blue ) and i heard a while back that microsoft is going to stop supporting 98 in the near future (how true that is i&#39;m not sure ). if you want near xp stability then win2000 is for you. save anything important you have on your hard drive to disc and download the latest win2000 drivers for your hardware and put them on a disc, ie modem, graphics sound etc and do a clean installation ie boot from win2000 disc, format your hard drive and then install.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    Originally posted by boyzeee@11 December 2003 - 12:10
    i heard a while back that microsoft is going to stop supporting 98 in the near future
    near future? lol u outdated....this has been "true" for like more than 6 months....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast