Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy Use

I know this varies alot but about how much energy does one computer setup take on energy? We are trying to have a traveling lan on a school bus and go ou to a lake, just trying to figure out what kind of genorator would be best and what we could rent. Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    maybe about 500w each.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    So if we rented something at about 10KW, then we will be fairly well powered? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40827 is one i looked at, And at 10kw thats 20 people, doubt well have that many but with switch/router we might need that much

And BTW how long would that 8 gallon tank last running at that high wattage? Im a noob to this

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    im not sure how long it will last, i had a look in the manual and couldnt find anything about it. although i would check each thing for actual power rating.

i went with approx 150w for monitor and 350w for cpu itself. which i would imagine is about typical, but also you may have other devices, a network hub/switch or speakers etc.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Usually dont use speaks on our lans just headphones to cut down on background sound. Especially with a damn generator running. Will a LCD monitor take less than a... big one? I thought the larger monitors took more power that the cpu cuz of the huge tube it uses but im just assuming.. BTW Heres the bus peeps are hoping for, lol. They are gonna replace the seats with tables. Bid over us and i kill you http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9&category=6728

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    had a look at a couple of 19" crt on a online site and power comsumption is 130watt. and a 17" lcd is about 45w

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    oh, nice thanks. Looks like most processors use around 80watts or less, so thats a good sign to.. i think

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by x_gimpg@12 December 2003 - 00:48
    oh, nice thanks. Looks like most processors use around 80watts or less, so thats a good sign to.. i think
    atx boards usually have a power supply of around 350w, so i went with that figure, i know they dont avtually use that figure. but depends on what hardware you have. and also most computers need a surge of power when they are turned on to spin up all the motors in the board etc. so i would only turn them on one at a time as not to blow anything by turning them all on at once. not sure if monitors are the same.

prob best to turn one computer on, give it a sec or too, then put its monitor on, then next computer, etc.

edit: yeah minimum requirement for an atx board is 350w im sure, so may be more.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok, Will the gen need a separate exhaust or be mounted outside or something? And how will the noise be loud for something like that 9hp? A 3.5 hp can be anoying, maybe we should do some sound-proofing around it. Wow im jumping around alot

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    do you plan on the bus moving while you use it? i would definetly try get it outside, as noise and fumes. and isnt it a 20hp motor you pointed to?

edit: no seperate exhaust will be needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast