Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Clocker? Vb123? Anybody? Help?

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i have noticed, for some screwy reason, that some cables may be designed for a P4 board, and i think the cable config is different than other boards, cuz i saw the same problem you talk about. i think its messed up also. just check to see if your cables have the little guide slot on both ends that makes sure the cable goes in the drive and the board the same way, some cables dont have one, and some cables have holes that are plugged. i know , its a pain in the ass. heres a stupid example of stupid shit, "i can plug a P4 power supply into a celeron 366mhz board, and it runs fine, BUT, i cant plug that same power supply into a P3 1ghz board!? the plugs dont match." i think the same applies to the eide cables of different comps. but hell, im no genious, just reporting what ive seen.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    yup, my other 2 cables were form p4 system. but is there really a differenct...i mean when you buy one from the store, they didnt say which system it should be use for.

now to my other question....y isnt my frontpanle led and hdd acess led working? its just off. the wires are connected correctly but for some reason, its not working....oh well, its not that important anyways

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    if they are connected properly , they should light up. check and make sure they are. if im not mistaken, you can actually put those on the pins "backwards". that will make them not work.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    my power LED comes on when my computer is turned off dont ask why but my hdd led works.

your power LED might be like mine but id try flipping around the plugs just to see if that helps, especially since the hdd led wont work either.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Good to see you got it working.
    now to my other question....y isnt my frontpanle led and hdd acess led working? its just off. the wires are connected correctly but for some reason, its not working....oh well, its not that important anyways
    The LED connectors have a correct polarity. You must have them connected backwards. Switch the connector around and the try it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    okay ill try that, but y dont the manufactorer make them so that it only fit one way. or have it work both ways. y would they have it so it can go backward?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by raiserblade2003@14 December 2003 - 23:26
    okay ill try that, but y dont the manufactorer make them so that it only fit one way. or have it work both ways. y would they have it so it can go backward?
    They make them ambidextrous just to screw with you.
    They are aware of how much you enjoy groping around in inaccessible crannies with tiny connectors trying to engage little pins.
    What could be more fun than that?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    Originally posted by clocker+15 December 2003 - 06:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 15 December 2003 - 06:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-raiserblade2003@14 December 2003 - 23:26
    They are aware of how much you enjoy groping around in inaccessible crannies with tiny connectors trying to engage little pins.
    What could be more fun than that? [/b][/quote]
    yea especially w/ my fat fingers

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by raiserblade2003+15 December 2003 - 02:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (raiserblade2003 @ 15 December 2003 - 02:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@15 December 2003 - 06:39
    <!--QuoteBegin-raiserblade2003
    @14 December 2003 - 23:26

What could be more fun than that?
    yea especially w/ my fat fingers [/b][/quote]
    Ah&#33; I see you understand perfectly now.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    Poster
    <sigh>

LEDs are diodes and, as such, need to be connected correctly to work. Some power LEDs are (for want of a better word) &#39;multifunctinal&#39; in that they light up a different colour when the system is in standby (as on monitors)... I haven&#39;t bothered to find out how but I suspect it may be by having a voltage passed in the other direction.

How do you tell which way round to put the connector on?
    Well, pin 1 of the head is always marked (sometimes just with an arrow, sometimes with a number and sometimes it&#39;s only shown in the manual), and is positive.
    Also, you may have noticed all your case LED and switch wires have one coloured wire common to all and this indicates negative. On all the cases I&#39;ve worked on, the negative wires have been white.

@ raiserblade2003: You didn&#39;t answer my questions when you quoted your original posts in your reply. That doesn&#39;t matter because you&#39;ve sorted the problem out now, but may I just explain why it&#39;s important to be specific?
    - Motherboards can have problems that get posted about all over the net (eg I replaced a K7S5A mobo because it would lock up and overheat the chipset if the memory was set to 133MHz, which is a variation on a common problem it has) so someone here may have heard about the problem you&#39;re experiencing.
    - The same applies to gfx cards - some are known to draw a lot of &#39;juice&#39; or need to be firmly seated in the slot.
    - Just sayng you&#39;ve got a HDD and a CDRW drive and that you&#39;ve checked the jumpers isn&#39;t enough when problems can arise from certain hardware. I have an Afreey DVDROM drive that won&#39;t show in my XP system (even blocks out the CDRW on the same channel) and doesn&#39;t show on my girls&#39; ME system unless the jumper is set to CS. Some optical drives prefer to be set as master, others don&#39;t work correctly as slave to another device. FWIW, you can have a slave device without a master; my Afreey DVDROM is set to CS and appears as the secondary device because it&#39;s at the end of the cable but is the only device on that channel. Telling us what you&#39;ve got and where it is helps us help you easier.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast