Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam Hussein Captured

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Story just broke on Sky News.

Head of Iraqi Council confirms capture
    A media conference is expected to be given in about 30 minutes after the time of this post.

(By request)
    What do you think they should do to Saddam? Vote in tralalala's poll

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Its all over UK news, anyone in the UK turn to channel 2, they are blasting it out, been confirmed by Tony Blair as well

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    This seems like the most sensible thread on this subject. At least from what I have read.

Let the USA / UK and the rest of the Alliance forces show what democracy, justice and due process means.

We are not vigilantes, we are not a lynch mob.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    A couple of points I've gleaned from the news reports that are a bit worrying.

1 They want to try him in Iraq, and that's fair enough.
    2 There's talk that the US want to give him the death penalty.

While I can certainly understand why the US would want that, isn't it the Iraqi people who should decide his fate?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@14 December 2003 - 14:51
    A couple of points I've gleaned from the news reports that are a bit worrying.

1 They want to try him in Iraq, and that's fair enough.
    2 There's talk that the US want to give him the death penalty.

While I can certainly understand why the US would want that, isn't it the Iraqi people who should decide his fate?
    It is indeed a matter for the Iraqi people. To be honest several other peoples may also have an interest, the Kuwait people for example. The dis-enfranchised Kurds may also be interested in what happens.

That does not necessarily mean that the trial has to take place in Iraq. Tho' I for one think it should. However would that necessarily be the best thing for public order and fairness to the accused and indeed the people.

Take for example the Lockerbie bombing trial. One could have argued Scotland was the best place for the trial, however the trial was not here.

Given the current situation, it is important that the international community ensure a fair trial. Both for his sake and for the sake of the Iraqi people.

The most important thing is transparency. Let's not talk about sentencing until the person has been tried and if appropriate convicted of a crime / or crimes.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    thx didnt no about it till i saw this thread

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    yea right a fair trial they might make it look fair but it wont be we already know he will get the death penalty

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    whats this about the americans are gonna make him say he has weapons of mass destruction? i say kill him! and then get bin laden!!!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by kalashnikov@14 December 2003 - 15:03
    yea right a fair trial they might make it look fair but it wont be we already know he will get the death penalty
    If you think that is what the people of Iraq want, then that may well happen.

I personally do not believe in the death penalty. I know many others do.

I believe it is may be more common in the middle east. However I stand to be corrected on that.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    internet.news
    Originally posted by RGX@14 December 2003 - 13:35
    Its all over UK news, anyone in the UK turn to channel 2, they are blasting it out, been confirmed by Tony Blair as well
    I heard it I think both sides were surprised - Saddam looks really surprised
    - I did not expect this.

Well, I hope he would be taken far away from his country to Den Haag...

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast