Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ati Vs Nvidia

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy@15 December 2003 - 02:25
    what about a ati radeon 9600se.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=55195
    http://www.hightech.com.hk/html/9600se.htm
    I've looked at both of those before, there is no guarantee they will work with an AGP 2.0 slot.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    from the hightech link
    Bus Interface

AGP 8X / 4X

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's AGP 3.0

Edit: it MAY work in an AGP 2.0 slot at 4x, but there's no guarantee, so I'm not risking it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@15 December 2003 - 03:33
    That's AGP 3.0
    but it says it supports agp 4x and that is the min req. which you have? it should work, shouldnt it? as an agp3.0 4x, should be the same as an agp2.0 4x would it not?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy+15 December 2003 - 02:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 15 December 2003 - 02:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@15 December 2003 - 03:33
    That&#39;s AGP 3.0
    but it says it supports agp 4x and that is the min req. which you have? it should work, shouldnt it? as an agp3.0 4x, should be the same as an agp2.0 4x would it not? [/b][/quote]
    No, that&#39;s the big problem with AGP specs.

Intel (who "defined" the specifications) have changed things twice (at least) since the originalspec, and with the same slot there are 3.3 volt, 1.5 volt and 0.8 volt specs. There are various combinations of specs which work together, but unless the card providers specifically state which ones they support you can get a card which doesn&#39;t work in your machine.

Stating 8x, 4x is no guarantee of anything, they should be quoting which standard they support (AGP1.0, AGP2.0 etc).

At least NVidia chip suppliers either state the min spec or provide a range which overlaps enough to give a meaningful definition. Btw, up until this I was a confirmed Ati supporter.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    BANNED
    4x for a dx9 card? tsk tsk.... no comments

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you could get a new board?

i just got this board http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components...?quicklinx=2Q7L
    which is http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboa...php3?name=M7NCD

and its pretty cheap/

and you can see from here http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=288 the pro version is ok.

i havent tested the board yet as i havent got the rest of the parts yet, but it should be on wednesday.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by DWk@15 December 2003 - 02:54
    Maybe you should read the specs for 4x and 8x. And look at the benchmarks. There&#39;s really not much difference at the moment since the rest of MOST systems can&#39;t provide data fast enough.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx+15 December 2003 - 03:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx &#064; 15 December 2003 - 03:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@15 December 2003 - 02:54
    Maybe you should read the specs for 4x and 8x. And look at the benchmarks. There&#39;s really not much difference at the moment since the rest of MOST systems can&#39;t provide data fast enough. [/b][/quote]
    or you could just go for it?

edit: or try contacting the manufacturer for one of the cards, like the hightech one i posted, since its the cheapest ati based dx9 card.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast