Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ati Vs Nvidia

lynx's Avatar .
    I've finally decided it's time I got a DirectX 9 capable video card.

The problem is that I don't want to change anything else at the moment, and my motherboard is only AGP2.0 compliant (4x,2x,1x).

I've been looking around at various graphics cards (I'm not bothered about one that's super fast, but it must support DirectX 9.

Quite frankly, I'm a little disappointed with the level of documentation on Radeon based cards. Every one of them says "supports AGP 8x". Does this mean they ONLY support AGP 8x, or that is the maximum they support but will support lower specs. There's one exception, the Sapphire 9600XT, which says it supports 8x, 4x. The very fact that one card says this is worrying with respect to the other cards, as the inference is that they DON'T support 4x. And the 9600XT is a little expensive.

Fortunately, the NVidia cards all seem to say they support 8x,4x,2x or that the min requirement is AGP2.0 compliance. Seems like I'm going for a NVidia based card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    nah usually the ati's are also 4x-2x-1x backwards compatible....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I've been looking around at various graphics cards (I'm not bothered about one that's super fast, but it must support DirectX 9.
    I don't know what performance you're looking for or what your budget is but based on your post I would say look at the Nvidia fx5200.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by DWk@14 December 2003 - 20:05
    nah usually the ati's are also 4x-2x-1x backwards compatible....
    I don't think so, they'd have to support all voltages from 0.8 to 3.3, and that's pretty unlikely.
    I don't know what performance you're looking for or what your budget is but based on your post I would say look at the Nvidia fx5200.
    I was thinking of something along those lines myself. I've found one at ebuyer for under £50, so I'll probably go for that. We'll see what tomorrow brings, there's no point in ordering tonight. They've got a good deal on adsl modem/router's, which I need, and on DVD-R's which I'm almost out of, so it makes sense to get them all at once and save on transport charges.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    the best ATI card (9800xt) supports 8x and 4x

the best nVidia card (5950 ultra) supports 8x, 4x, and i think 2x as well

so basically, every card out today fits ur needs

with the 9800s and every fx card, u also need a free HDD power connection (unless u use a mac w/ AGP pro, or u have an AGP Pro mobo (which u dont)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

@atiVidia, I guess you don't understand "I'm not bothered about one that's super fast."

The cards you posted are very expensive to only use at 4x.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx+14 December 2003 - 22:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 14 December 2003 - 22:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DWk@14 December 2003 - 20:05
    nah usually the ati&#39;s are also 4x-2x-1x backwards compatible....
    I don&#39;t think so, they&#39;d have to support all voltages from 0.8 to 3.3, and that&#39;s pretty unlikely.
    I don&#39;t know what performance you&#39;re looking for or what your budget is but based on your post I would say look at the Nvidia fx5200.
    I was thinking of something along those lines myself. I&#39;ve found one at ebuyer for under £50, so I&#39;ll probably go for that. We&#39;ll see what tomorrow brings, there&#39;s no point in ordering tonight. They&#39;ve got a good deal on adsl modem/router&#39;s, which I need, and on DVD-R&#39;s which I&#39;m almost out of, so it makes sense to get them all at once and save on transport charges. [/b][/quote]
    The box for my Radeon 9200 only said 8x but it is running just fine at 4x, and I can also change the settings down to 2x or even 1x and it works just fine.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@14 December 2003 - 18:02
    I&#39;ve been looking around at various graphics cards (I&#39;m not bothered about one that&#39;s super fast, but it must support DirectX 9.

@atiVidia, I guess you don&#39;t understand "I&#39;m not bothered about one that&#39;s super fast."

when I say that "The best works on 4x, etc." then it means that, surely, the lesser cards work as well

please understand my logic.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by atiVidia+15 December 2003 - 02:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia @ 15 December 2003 - 02:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@14 December 2003 - 18:02
    I&#39;ve been looking around at various graphics cards (I&#39;m not bothered about one that&#39;s super fast, but it must support DirectX 9.

@atiVidia, I guess you don&#39;t understand "I&#39;m not bothered about one that&#39;s super fast."

when I say that "The best works on 4x, etc." then it means that, surely, the lesser cards work as well

please understand my logic. [/b][/quote]
    thats kinda hard to understand. ppl might think that when you say "The best works on 4x, etc." that only the best will work on 4x and lower budget card being a budget card is not backward compatible

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think a lot of you have missed the point.

Maybe Ati cards will work with my motherboard, maybe they won&#39;t.

But if they can&#39;t be bothered to give proper specifications, they can stick their cards where the video don&#39;t shine. I&#39;m not going to risk my money buying something that isn&#39;t quoted as being compatible.

If it&#39;s quoted as being compatible and it isn&#39;t, then I&#39;ve got a claim.
    If it&#39;s not quoted as being compatible and it works, then all very good, otherwise I&#39;m stuffed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast