Thread: Strange Sighting On The Sun

http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/i...ay_031212.html

Anyone who has ever sat back and found imaginary animals in the clouds will enjoy this view of the Sun. A visitor to the website of the SOHO spacecraft found Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in naturally dark regions of the solar surface.
    In the image at right, SOHO scientists have drawn an outline of the shape for anyone who might have trouble finding it.

Peter Kuklok of Germany found the shape. SOHO scientists, in releasing it to the public this week, said "we could not resist sharing it with everyone else."

The image is green because SOHO records electrogmagnetic radiation at various wavelengths. This view is of extreme ultraviolet light. The dark region in question is a substantial coronal hole, a part of the Sun where solar particles are following open magnetic field lines out into space. Like sunspots, coronal holes develop and change over time.

Coronal holes can send enough particles into space to generate minor geomagnetic disturbances at Earth, scientists say.

If it really is Rudolph, or his shadow, he must be on an early training flight. The image was taken Dec. 6.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Despite the rudolph, that is such a cool pic it is now my wallpaper, a realistic green sun, looks like some alien world

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    yeah, it's a cool pic

I think I've seen those green suns posted in other places before, might even have another analysis on my hd already

4. Lounge   -   #4
    muchspl2
    cool
    where ya been sirhump, haven't seen you around here or ftmbb in awhile

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by muchspl2@14 December 2003 - 16:54
    cool
    where ya been sirhump, haven't seen you around here or ftmbb in awhile
    i been hanging around here been kinda busy latly working overtime at work

i don t go to the ftmbb board nomore since some of the mods there are a joke on that board

6. Lounge   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    I have made it into a 1024x768 image with some creative use of the smudge tool and a homemade space bakground, its nicely in proportion for desktop use now, its here if anyone wants it

7. Lounge   -   #7
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    thnx, this is my background now.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.