Thread: Mini-disc Player Vs. Mp3 Player

I was asked today wether or not i wanted an mp3 player for christmas or a mini disc player. i know what a mp3 player is and really liked the one i use to have, but i dont know what a mini-disc player is or it's advantages. I'm also having a hard time finding out what one is. What are the differences between the 2? which one is better?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    a mini disk is a audio player that uses floppy disk like media to store its data, u can also get net md's. which u can tranfer music from your pc with.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    a mini disc player is mechanical. much more chance for failure.

mp3 players are solid-state, no moving parts. no wear-and-tear. less chance for failure. faster data throughput. (quicker uploading/downloading)

The minidisc format is more likely to go the way of the 8-track or cassette. it's just not as widely accepted as mp3 players are becoming.

my 2 cents...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my bro just got a net md, he can get loads of stuff on the one disk. about 10hours i think. and disk are small too so ou could carry loads

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i got the sony mz-n707 mini disc player when i started uni and it was the biggest waste of money ever

you can store a lot of music on one of the discs (up to 320 minutes per 80 minute disc), but you sacrifice quality for quantity

with a similarly priced mp3 player, you should be able to get 10-20GB of storage, plus you don't need complicated software like you do with the mini disc player. with the mini disc player, you need to convert all your mp3's first into a compatible format (though the software does this for you), which means you get left with trails of converted music and it takes a long time to compile a disc.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Minidisk is old tech.

If you&#39;ve got the choice, best is an mp3 player which takes mps cds.

Example
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@15 December 2003 - 03:27
    Minidisk is old tech.

If you&#39;ve got the choice, best is an mp3 player which takes mps cds.

Example
    i got a mp3 cd player, its great, it also plays vcds/ and was only £35

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ahh i see. this is a no contest. i&#39;ll be going with the mp3 player. capacity isn&#39;t what i&#39;m looking for. it&#39;s quality and how big and light it is and how easy it is to take around with you. no skipping. no converting or hard work. mp3 player it is.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if your going for a card base one, amke sure its a decent size. for the ammount you would like to take at a time.

at 128kbs i think 1minis approx 1 meg.