Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dap 6.3 Virus Warning

Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    If anyone has downloaded the most recent versions of Download Accelerator (DAP 6.0 and above) from kazaalite it may contain a virus called system32.exe. This file has hundreds of sources so a lot people have it without realising its a virus. System32 is not a native windows file, even thought the name suggests it may be.

It is an executable and not self-extracting zip file, even though the icon gives the impression it is. It will not allow you to extract by right-cliking, thats how you can tell its not zipped up.

If you have installed this into you system it will slow down your computer and try to gain internet access. Make sure you deny in access to the internet and delete it from the system32 folder in windows.

But to delete you will need to shut it down first otherwise windows wont allow deletion as it is a running process.

press Ctrl Alt Delete, and go to processes, highlight system32.exe and click End Process. Then go to C drive >windows>System32 and delete system32.exe.

You will need to edit the registry so windows wont look for it at start up. Ideally you should use System Restore feature to retsore your computer to before you installed it on your system.
    Robert00000

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    i still got 5.3....and i thought they jumped right into 7.0....which is the latest version....never heard of 6

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Robert00000@15 December 2003 - 15:52
    If anyone has downloaded the most recent versions of Download Accelerator (DAP 6.0 and above) from kazaalite
    never download software from kazaa

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    6.3 is available on kazaalite with hundreds of sources (302), so lots of people have it. do a search and you will see. But dont download and execute.

I've now downloaded version 7 directly from the website, it may have adware, but its at least virus free
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Robert00000@15 December 2003 - 16:05
    but its at least virus free
    and who wants that

as long as u got good anti virus it should pick it up once you downloaded it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    not even so....mcafee picks a virus from kazaa once the download STARTS (when 1 byte is downloaded)....pretty l33t

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    FlashGet & only FlashGet is the way.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by DWk@15 December 2003 - 10:49
    not even so....mcafee picks a virus from kazaa once the download STARTS (when 1 byte is downloaded)....pretty l33t
    NAV catches it too, caught one when i was tryin to d/l a skin a few weeks back
    had to dump the skin .......
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What you should realise about antivirus software is that you only get virus definitions once the company has produced it. But in order to do that people have to get infected first and inform the companies about the virus.

Its no good if you were one of the first one's to get infected, before the company can update the defintions. Thats why so many people have this virus and are spreading it without realising.

With software like DAP its better to download the legit version from the website and then look for serials or cracks.
    Robert00000

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    most "good" antiviruses have an on-access scanner roberto..... and since most viruses act and work the same way.... the on-access scanner finds them easily.... its a pattern....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast