Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patriotism

No, I agree. And I'd like to have a cuppa with him too

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Put Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker at the same table, provide the appropriate libations and I'll bet they would come up with a humdinger of a definition for you, j2.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@17 December 2003 - 09:39
    Put Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker at the same table, provide the appropriate libations and I'll bet they would come up with a humdinger of a definition for you, j2.
    Yes-

I would expect no less from a renowned dinger-hummer like Oscar Wilde.

He would be quite interesting to speak to.

Sparsely-

Such well-executed sarcasm.

Masterful!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by j2k4@16 December 2003 - 21:49
    Apart from Havel and Burke, have you any statements regarding "patriotism" by anyone other than Americans?

Surely patriotism has existed and been commented on in more places than just the U.S.?

How about some comments from Iraqi patriots?

Palestinian patriots?

Russian patriots?

Or are you just interested in the objectionable American brand of same?
    it seems to me like the term "patriot" is peculiar to the American vocabulary-- to a degree at least. when i hear about other countries, i usually hear terms like nationalist, loyalist, royalist, revolutionary, sandinista/contra, etc etc. there are fine distinctions between all of 'em, but they're all somewhat interchangeable to the degree that they usually believe they're doing what's best for their beloved countries.

the word "patriot" is prolly just a bit too specific to find many quotes about it from a diverse selection of people (other than americans). i mean, the word does exist outside of american vocab, but americans seem fixated on that term as a description of nationalism where other countries might prefer a different word.

and yeah, i gotta agree with some of the opinions in this thread, that people too often mistake patriotism for conformity or mob mentality. you certainly don't have to march in lock-step with the majority, to be patriotic.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    if the patriot act defines american patriotism. then the u.s has come a long way and towards the gutter with patriotism

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by kAb@17 December 2003 - 14:13
    if the patriot act defines american patriotism. then the u.s has come a long way and towards the gutter with patriotism
    Yes-

Perhaps closer to the mark would be a strategy labeled, Retroactive Border Security Act.

That is all we ever needed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Patriotism is quite literally: Love and Devotion to ones country.

If you believe that what you are doing is in the interests of your country..irrespective of whether the "Government" agree's, then you are being Patriotic.

Governments are often less than Patriotic..... their own political asperations and politicians personal agendas get in the way.

To call someone "Unpatriotic" because they believe that their country is going in the wrong direction, even if you think the opposite... just shows a lack of education in the English Language. Its quite possible to have Patriots with diometrically opposed viewpoints, just because you both Love your country does not mean you agree what is best for it.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@17 December 2003 - 20:37
    Patriotism is quite literally: Love and Devotion to ones country.

If you believe that what you are doing is in the interests of your country..irrespective of whether the "Government" agree's, then you are being Patriotic.

Governments are often less than Patriotic..... their own political asperations and politicians personal agendas get in the way.

To call someone "Unpatriotic" because they believe that their country is going in the wrong direction, even if you think the opposite... just shows a lack of education in the English Language. Its quite possible to have Patriots with diometrically opposed viewpoints, just because you both Love your country does not mean you agree what is best for it.
    I think that strictly speaking it is love or devotion, not necessarily both. The one does not pre-suppose the other.

However, obvious pedantry aside, your points are well made.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12