Thread: Motherboard Mounting

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    just checking im getting it right, do i put the small metal spacers intot he case. then put down the board on top, and put the small paper spacer down on the hole then put a screw in?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You're doing the right thing, buddy.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    If the hole has a shiny soldered edge, then you don't want the paper spacer. The reason it has the soldered edge is because it is an earthing point, so you want as much screw to board contact as possible at that point.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@17 December 2003 - 14:53
    If the hole has a shiny soldered edge, then you don't want the paper spacer. The reason it has the soldered edge is because it is an earthing point, so you want as much screw to board contact as possible at that point.
    ok, so i better take out the paper bits then, also it came with 3 of the plastic mounting points, take it id ont want them then. since all the holes are soldered edges

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Just be sure to screw those metal standoffs into the case at the proper place to match up with each hole of the motherboard. You then position the board and screw it in place, don't overtighten.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy+17 December 2003 - 14:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 17 December 2003 - 14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@17 December 2003 - 14:53
    If the hole has a shiny soldered edge, then you don&#39;t want the paper spacer. The reason it has the soldered edge is because it is an earthing point, so you want as much screw to board contact as possible at that point.
    ok, so i better take out the paper bits then, also it came with 3 of the plastic mounting points, take it id ont want them then. since all the holes are soldered edges [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s ok to use some of the plastic stand-offs, as long as you&#39;ve got earth points from the screw mountings.

I tend to use the plastic ones near the back or bottom edge of the case, where it&#39;s hard to use a screwdriver, but I still keep at least one eatth point on each edge.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Some cases don&#39;t have threaded holes for the mounting screws, but have slightly &#39;keyhole&#39; shaped slots that you slide the plastic stand-offs into. They can be a right PITA sometimes.
    I personally don&#39;t think it makes too much difference using the fibre washers under mounting screws as:
    a.) the soldered edge on the underside of the mobo contacts the metal stand-offs quite securely, and
    b.) there&#39;s earths all over the place through the PSU, drives, card brackets, etc.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    all mounting points are really easy to get too, and there is no soldered edge on the back side of the mobo.
    i have the clip mounting things your on about on my old mobo.

i ahev taken the washers out anyway, easy job,

just resizing my new 80gig storage drive from my old computer, to put a smaller system partition at the front of it so i can put windows on it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Be gentle to your mobo in replacing it in the case, that&#39;s very expensive peripheral.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by camille@17 December 2003 - 23:41
    Be gentle to your mobo in replacing it in the case, that&#39;s very expensive peripheral.
    yeah i was, i also had the case earthed while i was working and i was wearing a earthed wrist strap.