Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Pix Getting Too Big?

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Maybe it's just me and my chosen screen resolution but, it seems to me that posted thread pix are just getting larger than necessary. I've already been through the screen-resolution evaluation thing and I am using 800x600 simply because I don't need reading glasses at that size.

here and here
    are examples of what I'm talking about.

I'm seeing pix over 1400 pixels and, at least for me, they could be smaller and still have the same impact without my having to use the bottom scroll bar to view the pic from left to right.

I've learned when choosing a pic for a thread to first edit and resize the pic to around 500 to 600 pixels or so. This is still good size and allows the full pic to be full screen.

If the concensus is to allow the freedom to post whatever size someone wants then, this is acceptable to me. Not that big of a deal. Just a minor inconvenience.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

mrlessk

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Aberrant
    It's not the pixel size that bothers me wif those large images, I don't mind scrolling....
    • ....it's the time it takes to download wif my crappy dial-up connection.

But I think most people here are broadband users, an' so my inconvenience isn't important.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Hello mrlessk,
    Coincidently, me again replying to your thread first. I guess we come online at the same time.

You are absolutely right about the size of the images and its a little annoying to me as well. But you have to keep in mind that not everyone uploads the pictures. Wherever external hot linking is allowed, people just copy the image address and paste it here. In those cases obviously they dont bother about it.

But I agree, as far as possible people should do it!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Poeple really should resize images to a maximum 800x600* before posting them on a topic. Not because of the size of the files, but because having horizontal scroll bars on a page is fucking annoying. Some image hosts can automatically rezize a picture if you specify it when linking to the pic. You don&#39;t violate any rules if you don&#39;t do this but it&#39;s polite.

*Since the average screen resolution is 1024x768, an 800x600 image will fit in the screen with all the other page elements without creating a horizontal scroll bar.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nowt you can do to stop me
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    It&#39;s being discussed as an amendment to the rules, so yes there will be something that can be done about.................still in the discussion stages..........
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@17 December 2003 - 17:17
    i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nowt you can do to stop me

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by titey@17 December 2003 - 08:51
    it&#39;s the time it takes to download wif my crappy dial-up connection.&nbsp;
    But I think most people here are broadband users, an&#39; so my inconvenience isn&#39;t important.
    Yeah, you&#39;re right titey&#33; I didn&#39;t want to go into that part of it. I also have dialup and usually have time to do some chores while some of those pix are loading

and then of course, there are simply those inconsiderate a-holes (not mentioning any names) that would do it simply for the irritation it might create.
    mrlessk

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by mrlessk@17 December 2003 - 12:32
    Yeah, you&#39;re right titey&#33; I didn&#39;t want to go into that part of it. I also have dialup and usually have time to do some chores while some of those pix are loading
    That&#39;s why I&#39;ve turned off signatures.... I don&#39;t need to see the same images over an&#39; over, an&#39; it helps a lot.

An&#39; if&#39;n someone does post an oversized image, I usually just move on to another thread unless I really want to see it.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i don&#39;t think limiting the size of pictures posted is a good idea, seems a bit too much like you&#39;re limiting the freedom of speech

posting big pics should be put in the same category as posted topics named "WTF?"
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast