Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boring Vocabular Question: What's The Difference

leonidas's Avatar Poster

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Here's a neat site you can start with.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    thanks I didn't know such a site existed.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I dont know what context you are placing these words Leo. But if it is what I think:-

Tax: Generally a payment imposed by a governing authority.

Duty: Generall a payment or tax levied on imported goods. This can also
    include goods like cigarettes and alcohol produced in the home country.

Fee: A charge made on a service rendered.

This is just a rough guide. I am sure someone else will come along with a more detailed description.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@17 December 2003 - 22:53
    I dont know what context you are placing these words Leo. But if it is what I think:-

Tax: Generally a payment imposed by a governing authority.

Duty: Generall a payment or tax levied on imported goods. This can also
    include goods like cigarettes and alcohol produced in the home country.

Fee: A charge made on a service rendered.

This is just a rough guide. I am sure someone else will come along with a more detailed description.
    I work in a french fowarding agent compagny customer service, and I use those words all the time indifferently. I just wanted to know, as I'm also preparing an international trade diploma.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    I thought that was the context. As I say that is a rough guide.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Taxes

There are two main types of taxes (for most people) - direct and indirect.

Direct tax is imposed and there is no option. For example the tax on your wages. There may be different rates, but the principle remains the same.

Indirect taxes are more optional - you chose to buy the goods so you pay the tax. e.g. VAT. The more you spend the more tax you pay. So if you buy an expensive TV you pay more indirect tax.

These are raised by the Government of the country concerned, they are retained in the country to run it.

Duties

Again there are two main types of duties - Customs duty and Excise duty.

Customs duty is collected by the member state, on behalf of the EU. All of this goes to the EU to run it. There are no Customs duties between member states as it is a free market. So Customs duties are collected when goods enter the EU, but not when they travel internally.

Excise duties are collected by the member state and are retained by it. These tend to also relate to social issues. So the main excise duties are on oils, alcohol and tobacco. Each state decides on it's own rates, depending on how heavily it wants to tax the goods. This is for both revenue raising reasons and social reasons.

There are other duties, for example anti-dumping duty (not what you might think) however these are really quite esoteric.

Fees

Fees are charges made by a supplier, for services rendered. Fees tend to suggest a professional service.

Leo - this is from the top of my head. I can give you more precise definitive definitions if you want.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by J'Pol@17 December 2003 - 23:36
    Taxes

There are two main types of taxes (for most people) - direct and indirect.

Direct tax is imposed and there is no option. For example the tax on your wages. There may be different rates, but the principle remains the same.

Indirect taxes are more optional - you chose to buy the goods so you pay the tax. e.g. VAT. The more you spend the more tax you pay. So if you buy an expensive TV you pay more indirect tax.

These are raised by the Government of the country concerned, they are retained in the country to run it.

Duties

Again there are two main types of duties - Customs duty and Excise duty.

Customs duty is collected by the member state, on behalf of the EU. All of this goes to the EU to run it. There are no Customs duties between member states as it is a free market. So Customs duties are collected when goods enter the EU, but not when they travel internally.

Excise duties are collected by the member state and are retained by it. These tend to also relate to social issues. So the main excise duties are on oils, alcohol and tobacco. Each state decides on it's own rates, depending on how heavily it wants to tax the goods. This is for both revenue raising reasons and social reasons.

There are other duties, for example anti-dumping duty (not what you might think) however these are really quite esoteric.

Fees

Fees are charges made by a supplier, for services rendered. Fees tend to suggest a professional service.

Leo - this is from the top of my head. I can give you more precise definitive definitions if you want.
    Do you write on the top of your head too JP. So do I. But I find it difficult to read.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    boab

I have an extremelly smoth napper, so I can write on it.

However Clocker must have the most shiny noggin in the known multiverse. I am given to understand that three particularly wise men are curently following it.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Originally posted by J'Pol@18 December 2003 - 00:14
    boab

I have an extremelly smoth napper, so I can write on it.

However Clocker must have the most shiny noggin in the known multiverse. I am given to understand that three particularly wise men are curently following it.
    Christ they are in for a disappointment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast