Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Strange Whirring Noise?

Hi,
    I get this strange whirring noise when I first turn my comp. on???
    But I don't hear it once it's been on a little while, Doe's anyone know what this could be?
    I realise It could be my Fan on it's last legs or something, But which fan is it likely to be Main or Graphics card and how can I tell?
    I have'nt noticed any difference with my comp. even a Benchmark test gave normal results?
    Is there a way to check your fans without having to open up my machine?

My comp. is on about 14 hours every day and I've owned it about 12 months (typical my warranty has probably just expired )

Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    My advice would be to open it up and switch it on... until then you'll have no idea if it is a fan making the noise and of course which one it is. Once you've found out, you'll obv need to replace it at a time convenient, but they're prob the cheapest part available for a PC. Try looking on Aria they're a pretty good retailer online.

Remember, don't start touching the insides when you're PC is on, or you haven't been 'earthed'. Buy a anti-static wrist band or you could do more harm than good.

Samurai

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Samurai@17 December 2003 - 21:58
    My advice would be to open it up and switch it on... until then you'll have no idea if it is a fan making the noise and of course which one it is. Once you've found out, you'll obv need to replace it at a time convenient, but they're prob the cheapest part available for a PC. Try looking on Aria they're a pretty good retailer online.

Remember, don't start touching the insides when you're PC is on, or you haven't been 'earthed'. Buy a anti-static wrist band or you could do more harm than good.

Samurai
    Cheers
    yeah thought i might have to do that in the end!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Or get a qualified technician if you've no guts in isolating it. Be careful.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by camille@17 December 2003 - 23:56
    Or get a qualified technician if you've no guts in isolating it. Be careful.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@17 December 2003 - 21:52
    Hi,
    I get this strange whirring noise when I first turn my comp. on???
    But I don't hear it once it's been on a little while, Doe's anyone know what this could be?
    I realise It could be my Fan on it's last legs or something, But which fan is it likely to be Main or Graphics card and how can I tell?
    I have'nt noticed any difference with my comp. even a Benchmark test gave normal results?
    Is there a way to check your fans without having to open up my machine?

My comp. is on about 14 hours every day and I've owned it about 12 months (typical my warranty has probably just expired )

Cheers
    Its likely to be the fan, i have a similar prob with the fans on my hard drive caddy.

The caddy is relatively new, but makes a lot of noise becasue of the cold weather here in the uk. But once its warmed up (takes a few seconds) its more bareable.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    yea....he already knows its his fan

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@17 December 2003 - 21:52
    if you have been running it for that long and never opened the case it could just be a case of dirt and dust in your fans, invest in a can of compressed air (air duster ) from tandy or similar and give your fans (inc psu) and processor cooler a good clean and see if it runs quieter before you go buying new fans.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks yeah I will just take a close look first without changing and give them a good suck or blow!!

What are the odds of it being my Graphics card fan??
    But surely my performance would suffer a little maybe I don't know!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@19 December 2003 - 13:30
    Thanks yeah I will just take a close look first without changing and give them a good suck or blow!!

What are the odds of it being my Graphics card fan??
    But surely my performance would suffer a little maybe I don't know!!
    Open it up and see. If your graphics card fan is the cause there are replacement kits for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast