Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When To Be Worried

scribblec's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@18 December 2003 - 20:56
    15 year old's don't have a vote, so there's no point in them being politically correct.

Other than that, do you have the strength to lift all the parts? If so, it's no harder than for anyone else.
    ok how much would a custom built comp cost

or how can i upgrade my current....

its garuntee is gone cos itsyear and a half years gone

i would like a better athlon chip
    and a bigger hard drive and a better graphics card

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Wouldn't we all.

Seriously though, I built a fairly decent machine (from scratch) for a friend a few months ago for about £450 including the monitor. You would need to tell us what you've got before we can advise you what to change, etc.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by lynx@18 December 2003 - 21:04
    Wouldn't we all.

Seriously though, I built a fairly decent machine (from scratch) for a friend a few months ago for about £450 including the monitor. You would need to tell us what you've got before we can advise you what to change, etc.
    ok i have a 110 gig harddrive (not enough)
    gefource 4 mx 420
    512mb ram
    amd 2000+
    2 cd drives one rewritable one dvd

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    What sort of case and mobo?

If they are proprietary (such as Dell, Compaq) you may have problems fitting a standard mobo (if you need to change it).

I'll assume you ram is PC2100 unless you know otherwise.

Do you know which processor type you've got? If you've got a Thoroughbred processor you can probably OC it quite a bit, but you would need to get faster ram. You can find out the processor type by looking in "System Information". Model 8 is a Thoroughbred. You can get mobo information here too.

If it's not a Thoroughbred, then you are unlikely to be able to OC it to any worthwhile extent. But just upgrading the processor is also unlikely to give you much benefit. You would need to upgrade the ram and possibly the mobo too.

For graphics card, you could get a 128MB FX5600XT or a 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 for about £80-85.
    Another 120GB HDD will set you back about £65.
    And a DVD+/-RW will cost about £100.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    processor: x86 damily 6 module 6 stepping to authentic amd~1665mhz

wat does that mean?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's a palomino processor.
    They only went up to XP2100+, so you are already near the limit that the chip technology is able to take, in terms of overclocking - better forget that as an option.

I would recommend taking it in steps. Upgrade your disc and graphics card first, and see what sort of performance you get. A better graphics card can take a lot of load off your processor.

If you want to save some money, you could consider getting a smaller hdd, and using it as your system drive. Keep the larger drive for data only. Separating your data from your system drive will also improve performance.

If you post your mobo information (it should be just above where you got the processor stuff) we can look at the possibilities of processor/memory upgrade. To get even more info about your mobo/memory, you could download Sandra, which can tell you exactly what your mobo/memory is capable of.

You should possibly look at getting a new/better case fan if you are going to replace your graphics card, the new ones do a lot more work so they give out a lot more heat.

I'm out for a couple of hours now, catch you later.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by scribblec+18 December 2003 - 20:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scribblec @ 18 December 2003 - 20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@18 December 2003 - 20:56
    15 year old&#39;s don&#39;t have a vote, so there&#39;s no point in them being politically correct.

Other than that, do you have the strength to lift all the parts? If so, it&#39;s no harder than for anyone else.

and a bigger hard drive and a better graphics card [/b][/quote]
    if you want to upgrade your current, what do you want to upgrade.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by raiserblade2003+19 December 2003 - 01:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (raiserblade2003 @ 19 December 2003 - 01:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by scribblec@18 December 2003 - 20:59
    <!--QuoteBegin-lynx
    @18 December 2003 - 20:56
    15 year old&#39;s don&#39;t have a vote, so there&#39;s no point in them being politically correct.

Other than that, do you have the strength to lift all the parts? If so, it&#39;s no harder than for anyone else.

and a bigger hard drive and a better graphics card
    if you want to upgrade your current, what do you want to upgrade. [/b][/quote]
    i wouldnt mind an extra 80 gigs
    latest gefource
    and a good mhgz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    whats ur budget?
    P.S. by Mghz u mean cpu right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12