Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Hide Your Source

Instead of giving my own, I would rather use what someone has already done and I couldn't have done it more profoundly.

Here are a number of very effective methods of keeping unscrupulous surfers from stealing your HTML source:

1. Use the <INVISIBLE> </INVISIBLE> tags around the entire document.
    2. Use the DONTSTEAL attribute in the <BODY> tag.
    3. Ftp to your server, select all files and directories, hit "Delete".
    4. Put every existing copy of every file on floppies, place them in a shoebox and 5. bury them in the backyard. There is another version of this method which 6. involves placing the floppies in a plastic bag and hiding them in a different sort of hole. Both are equally effective.
    6. Password protect your entire site and make sure no one has the password, not even you.
    7. Employ a small but fanatically loyal and well-armed band of mercenaries to guard your site.
    8. Start>Run>format C:&#092;
    9. Attack dogs, preferably rabid.
    10. Use any version of Microsoft Frontpage to create your site. (This won&#39;t prevent people from viewing your source, but no one will want to steal it.)
    Don&#39;t put your pages on the web.
    ok, so that was fun&#33; Here is the real lowdown on hiding your source code.

It can&#39;t be done.
    The only truly effective method in the list above is #10.

While it is possible to make it difficult for people to view your source code, you cannot stop someone who really wants it. It has been suggested that using javascript to disable right-click or encrypting the HTML may be effective. It is far more likely that employing these easily circumvented techniques will only encourage people to "steal" your code. In all probability, they don&#39;t want it until you tell them they can&#39;t have it.

Moreover, I literally hate and stop and going to sites where right click is disabled. Not because I cant get to the source code but because its annoying. There are 1001 ways to get the source code no matter what you do. If you want to see the techniques further how to get a source code, visit few here here
    Fooling disable right click and others

Personally, if you do are hanky panky about the source code then use a good encryption program to scramble the code. But I doubts why any normal user would do that. Its not like your home address is displayed in the source code.

If you really did write your own source code (which I doubt these days ) then you can insert a comment in html saying its your own work and if copied please credit the author. The comment tags in html are inserted like this
    &#60;&#33;-- I am a comment, I hide from the display page and stay here to catch you looking at my source code --&#62;

Also,
    10 more things to avoid&#33;

Hope this helps all you paranoid people out there
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    no-one better steal my source, i spent 10 minutes writing it

good post though
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    h1
    true, even using something industrial-strength such as protware&#39;s html guardian cannot completely protect your source code. since everything is interpreted at runtime, any user with basic javascript/vbscript knowledge can spit out the source. most of the features, like no clipboard, drag & drop, offline use and extreme obfuscation will stop casual rippers, though.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Poster
    Define obfuscerate or whatever the bloody hell it was.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Originally posted by phAnt0m buRn@24 December 2003 - 21:55
    Define obfuscerate or whatever the bloody hell it was.
    http://www.google.com
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    BANNED
    yea thats why i love IE.... if right click doesnt work (or both together)... View->Source

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Well, there&#39;s one way i know of to hide your source... first format all your text with PHP instead of HTML (for example, for tabs use chr(9), etc.), then dynamically create an image with all the text in it. Works great, but it&#39;s REALLY not worth the effort.

Protecting your source sucks, the net is an open-source place.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    hehe, nice post. check this source code out&#33; this is absolutely the worst protection, if you can call it a protection: http://www.belgium.be/eportal/applic...Redirected=yes

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    h1
    what protection?

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Originally posted by Mavol@5 January 2004 - 12:45
    hehe, nice post. check this source code out&#33; this is absolutely the worst protection, if you can call it a protection: http://www.belgium.be/eportal/applic...Redirected=yes
    I must have missed whatever protection it had. Can you pinpoint what they had.

Thanks,
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast