Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Hard Drive Image Making

Im looking for a program that can take a image of your hard drive before you install a program. then take another image right after you install the program. then can show you exactly what was installed by just showing you the extra stuff on the second image

Im downloading PowerQuest Drive Image 7. but its over 500MB. and im not sure if it will do what i want it for. Drive Image and Nortons Ghost seem to be for complete system roll backs

I just need a simple program that can show me all registry entries and windows system files etc.. that were installed with any program i install

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're exactly after, but if you have Windows XP - System Restore is built in that allows you to 'go back' or 'restore' as you will, to a time before the software was installed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    No i dont want to use it to restore my system. i have Goback to do that. i just want to see EXACTLY what is installed on my PC down to the registry entries, after i install a program

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I am not sure if this will do it or not - http://www.elcomsoft.com/adc.html

"Advanced Disk Catalog (ADC) is an award-winning easy-to-use tool for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP with Explorer-like interface which allows you to catalog the drives: floppy disks, hard drives (including network ones), "

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Im not sure. it says "Compare catalogued disk with actual (new files, changed files, modified files) "

I can try it thanks.

I have seen programs that do what i want to do. like advanced uninstallers that catalog all changes made to your system after you install a program. then it shows you what the changes are so you can delete all changes.

When you uninstall a program. you still leave registry entries, dll files etc... i want to see what changes have been made to my PC after a install. because some programs slip in some registry entries that cant be found unless you know that they are

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe this is what your looking for http://www.tucows.com/preview/222221.html

This program monitors the changes in the hard drives and system registry using saved catalog files. It will monitor program installations to see how files are scattered or tampered with over time. It also finds duplicate files and lets you send them to the recycle bin.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Global Media Trader@19 December 2003 - 02:56
    Im looking for a program that can take a image of your hard drive before you install a program. then take another image right after you install the program. then can show you exactly what was installed by just showing you the extra stuff on the second image

I just need a simple program that can show me all registry entries and windows system files etc.. that were installed with any program i install
    Ahhh......got it

I think you are after "System Mechanic 4" with its "System Snapshots" feature.

take a snapshot, do an install, take another snapshot, compare the difference etc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Description.

---------------------

Whenever you install software you change your system contents and configuration. These changes can range from the simple addition of files to the extensive modification of your system registry and other core Windows configuration files.

Often these changes go unnoticed by users. Sometimes however a new software installation can destabilize your computer system by inadvertently changing critical configuration data, or by causing incompatibilities with other applications. When this happens, simply "uninstalling" software may not correct the problem. If a file or information that was originally present is no longer available, there is no safe way to "automatically" roll-back to the state your system was in before you began the installation.

In this case, the best insight into the issue is to know exactly what was added, modified, and deleted when the application in question was installed, or when the operation in question was performed. System Snapshot empowers you with a comprehensive reporting mechanism which allows you to take a full "snapshot" of your system before you install software or perform other questionable operations. It can then generate a full report afterward, explaining exactly what took place – at the system level – on your computer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker+20 December 2003 - 04:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 20 December 2003 - 04:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Global Media Trader@19 December 2003 - 02:56

Ahhh......got it

I think you are after "System Mechanic 4" with its "System Snapshots" feature.

take a snapshot, do an install, take another snapshot, compare the difference etc. [/b][/quote]
    Thats exactly what im looking for,,, Thnx man

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have been waiting to install some programs untill i had a program like this. now i know exaclty what is installed with the shareware i have (that have no serials for them yet) and i can indefinitely extend the life of my shareware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast