Thread: Live Updates

Proffesional Dumbass
    i got norton antivirus 2003, used the free live updates for a year and now i need to subscribe again.
    i was wondering is there a way to get free unlimited live updates?
    also with the newest version of McAffe do u need to pay for the updates after a certain period of time?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    McAffe sucks. And for Norton 3 choices not to pay. First you could COMPLETELY uninstall NAV. Then reinstall it. If you COMPLETELY uninstalled NAV, AFAIK you'd get another year subscription (but you might have to reinstall all the past year updates). That was my experience a couple years ago. Another option would be go to andr.net (cough, cough) & educate yourself. Or get your hands on NAV 2003 (Where are we? Hint, hint.).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by zapjb@17 February 2003 - 08:51
    McAffe sucks. And for Norton 3 choices not to pay. First you could COMPLETELY uninstall NAV. Then reinstall it. If you COMPLETELY uninstalled NAV, AFAIK you'd get another year subscription (but you might have to reinstall all the past year updates). That was my experience a couple years ago. Another option would be go to andr.net (cough, cough) & educate yourself. Or get your hands on NAV 2003 (Where are we? Hint, hint.).
    yes i made the same with nav. B)

reinstalling(clean) - installing - then you will have another year subscription service.

by the way: i have done this with a new version from nav, but i am sure that it will work with the same.

cu

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    If uninstalling NAV doesn't get it so when you reinstall you get another year of updates, get this program from symantec (called RNAV2003.exe, it gets rid of all NAV registry entries that may get leftover after an uninstall) and run it after you uninstall NAV...
    I had to use that program once casue i had a prob with my nav (kept gettin an error message and couldn't run it) and uninstalling didn't fix it but once i used that program, reintalling worked fine and it also changed my year of updates to the day i reinstalled...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Yusuke is right, the uninstall leave probably some registry entries which makes it very hard to install it again. So use the tools Yusuke adviced B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Proffesional Dumbass
    thanks guys i used zapjb sugestions and its working straight away.