Thread: Cdrw/dvd Drive Problem

Poster
    I've got a Philips CDD5101 CD-R/RW-DVD Combo Drive on a WinXP machine, and it can't read audio and blank CDs anymore, you can hear the cd spin and the LED will flash but that's it. When i put a DVD, it works perfectly fine. I don't know what the problem is, i've tried different CD-R medias and music CD, but they also don't work. I've also re-installed the drive, and the device manager hasn't picked up anything wrong.
    Can anyone help?, thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What do you mean they 'don't work?'

Tell us what you are trying to do, how you are trying to do it, and what happens or doesn't happen when you experience your problem.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    What im trying to do is listen to my audio cds and also burn some programs. But the CDRW/DVD cannot read any CDs anymore except DVDs. The problem first happened last week, when i tried to burn a CD with RecordNow DX, it kept asking to put a cd in when there was one already in. I then tried to access the CDs through my computer but the CDs will just spin and not load up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Have you tried updating your drivers?

Try here as a first point of call.

Edit
    -----
    Seems the link doesn't work outside of the website itself so here is the one before it. You will need to enter your model number which is CDD5101. Enjoy.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    My model driver wasn't included on that site

Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks Samurai for the link

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    will reinstalling windows solve the problem?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Finch@28 December 2003 - 23:11
    Use system restore to return your settings to when it was working, its easier and far quicker than a re-install.
    Robert00000

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Robert00000+29 December 2003 - 00:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert00000 @ 29 December 2003 - 00:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Finch@28 December 2003 - 23:11
    Use system restore to return your settings to when it was working, its easier and far quicker than a re-install. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for that, but my system restore settings only goes back to the 4th of Dec. Im pretty sure the problem happened before that date.