Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics Drivers

Originally posted by clocker@19 December 2003 - 16:54
    Apparently, right after releasing the drive, the manufacturer put out a updated firmware release.
    This flash killed the unit completely for many users.
    Page after page of bitching and moaning re: upgrade.
    Finally, a company tech rep responded..."The problems you are describing happen maybe once in a million flashes".
    The immediate response-" Gee, imagine how special I feel being that one guy out of a million! Now, give me back my f*ckin MONEY!"
    well... that just affirms the idea that --if you are in the habit of updating firmware-- you should just wait a few days after each release, then go hit the forums and see what people have to say about it. let other people be the guinea pigs.

but then again, there isn't a whole lot of incentive to update the firmware on a recent model dvd writer. the last several months' worth of drives come with 4X or 8X compatible firmware (some of the older ones need to be updated for 4X writing). the only major reasons i can think of that you'd really need to do an update is if you chose a drive that initially had poor compatibility with blank media because the drive company did a rush-job on it, so now they have to go back and fix it with new firmware... or if you're trying to remove the arbitrary limit on dvd-video ripping that's included in the firmware.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+20 December 2003 - 08:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 20 December 2003 - 08:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@19 December 2003 - 16:54
    Apparently, right after releasing the drive, the manufacturer put out a updated firmware release.
    Finally, a company tech rep responded..."The problems you are describing happen maybe once in a million flashes".
    The immediate response-" Gee, imagine how special I feel being that one guy out of a million&#33; Now, give me back my f*ckin MONEY&#33;"
    well... that just affirms the idea that --if you are in the habit of updating firmware-- you should just wait a few days after each release, then go hit the forums and see what people have to say about it. let other people be the guinea pigs.

but then again, there isn&#39;t a whole lot of incentive to update the firmware on a recent model dvd writer. the last several months&#39; worth of drives come with 4X or 8X compatible firmware (some of the older ones need to be updated for 4X writing). the only major reasons i can think of that you&#39;d really need to do an update is if you chose a drive that initially had poor compatibility with blank media because the drive company did a rush-job on it, so now they have to go back and fix it with new firmware... or if you&#39;re trying to remove the arbitrary limit on dvd-video ripping that&#39;s included in the firmware. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry to spam the thread, but its good to see you around Mr. Brain Maniac.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by clocker@20 December 2003 - 01:54
    Lynx, I am disappointed.
    When I saw " A Cautionary Tale" in the topic header I eagerly clicked right over, expecting to find bodice-ripping, heavy breathing, maybe ( with luck) a despoiled virgin.
    Well.
    There was none of that.
    Instead, a dry, dispassionate commentary on video drivers.
    Very misleading.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by adamp2p+20 December 2003 - 00:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p &#064; 20 December 2003 - 00:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@20 December 2003 - 08:53
    or if you&#39;re trying to remove the arbitrary limit on dvd-video ripping that&#39;s included in the firmware.
    Sorry to spam the thread, but its good to see you around Mr. Brain Maniac. [/b][/quote]
    hey hey hey. i&#39;ve been reading the forum pretty regularly, but just haven&#39;t seen much that i wanted to comment on.

btw, i should&#39;ve written "ripping speed." some drives will only rip at 2X, 4X, whatever, because of the firmware, when they are technically capable of going much faster with a bit of firmware hackage.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Originally posted by clocker@20 December 2003 - 00:54
    Last night, whilst perusing the net for info about a DVD burner I am considering, I ran a cross a thread concerning tech problems associated with it.
    The immediate response-" Gee, imagine how special I feel being that one guy out of a million&#33; Now, give me back my f*ckin MONEY&#33;"

I decided against the purchase, btw.
    What make and model was this? Might prevent further people purchasing this piece of sh*t

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Samurai@20 December 2003 - 01:23
    What make and model was this? Might prevent further people purchasing this piece of sh*t
    a bad firmware release does not indicate a bad piece of hardware. it indicates... well... bad firmware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12