Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Drivers

lynx's Avatar .
    As some of you may have noticed, I've just got a new graphics card.

It's an XFX fx5200. It performs fine. The graphics are great and very smooth.
    However, there is supposed to be an option (after a registry tweak) to allow me to change the clock settings, but it's greyed out. I'm not particularly bothered about OC'ing the card, but I was interested to see what was available.

I did a little research and found a site which suggests that some drivers don't support the registry tweak, and directs you to the Nvidia site to download the latest drivers. I could see no harm in this, so I downloaded and installed them - no joy, the additional properties button was still greyed out.

I decided not to bother any further, and embarked on a quick session of PoP. Disaster, the whole thing was running like a snail. After a couple of minutes I realised it was unusable, and quit.

I've now restored the drivers which came with the card. Fortunately, everything is back to normal. I can now understand why some people give the fx5200 such a bad write-up, if they are using/have seen those drivers. Btw, the drivers in question are meant to support the whole GeForce FX range.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    yah.... i still use 44.03 drivers on my card....they are the best for me

my card and me, that is hehe

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by DWk@19 December 2003 - 22:57
    yah.... i still use 44.03 drivers on my card....they are the best for me

my card and me, that is hehe
    i cant seem to find a driver for my mx440....always wear things happening on bf1942....it runs the game great, just the color is all screwy

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    i cant run bf1942 well on my card.....who knows wtf it is.... bf1942 is crap engine thats one thing i know

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Lynx, I am disappointed.
    When I saw " A Cautionary Tale" in the topic header I eagerly clicked right over, expecting to find bodice-ripping, heavy breathing, maybe ( with luck) a despoiled virgin.
    Well.
    There was none of that.
    Instead, a dry, dispassionate commentary on video drivers.
    Very misleading.

In a more on-topic vein...
    Last night, whilst perusing the net for info about a DVD burner I am considering, I ran a cross a thread concerning tech problems associated with it.
    Apparently, right after releasing the drive, the manufacturer put out a updated firmware release.
    This flash killed the unit completely for many users.
    Page after page of bitching and moaning re: upgrade.
    Finally, a company tech rep responded..."The problems you are describing happen maybe once in a million flashes".
    The immediate response-" Gee, imagine how special I feel being that one guy out of a million! Now, give me back my f*ckin MONEY!"

I decided against the purchase, btw.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    when i was a kid i pooped my pants and picked my nose....

hows that for a cautionary tale?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    well, back to the point. lynx, did u install the newest driver? and wat registry tweak did u use? my old gfx worked fine with the driver from nvidia.com and coolbits. it works with rage thing too. wat's up?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@20 December 2003 - 00:02
    well, back to the point. lynx, did u install the newest driver? and wat registry tweak did u use? my old gfx worked fine with the driver from nvidia.com and coolbits. it works with rage thing too. wat's up?
    Abu, you need to improve your reading skills.

The driver was from Nvidia's site, so I assume it is the latest driver.

The registry tweak (which had no effect either way) was the coolbits one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by lynx+19 December 2003 - 21:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 19 December 2003 - 21:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@20 December 2003 - 00:02
    well, back to the point. lynx, did u install the newest driver? and wat registry tweak did u use? my old gfx worked fine with the driver from nvidia.com and coolbits. it works with rage thing too. wat&#39;s up?
    Abu, you need to improve your reading skills.

The driver was from Nvidia&#39;s site, so I assume it is the latest driver.

The registry tweak (which had no effect either way) was the coolbits one. [/b][/quote]
    yea, i noticed that. u might&#39;ve dled an older 1 by accident. i don&#39;t know wat goes on in ur head. anyways, i don&#39;t c y it wont work. cool bits wooked fine on my AOpen card. should be the same with xfx

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    For me the latest release is just what i needed. I was going to buy a new graphics card this christmas becuase Grand theft auto 3 and 4 (my favorite games) run pretty slowly on the card in hte haigher resolutions. When the new driver released i thought id try it out to see if there was any improvement and WOW i was just amazed at the speed i was getting, i have the game running with full draw distance, 1024*768 resolution with 32 bit color and 85hz refresh rate, 4x Anti-Aliasing and 2x antisotropic filtering. And the game feels like its running at like at least 40fp.

So the newest isnt always the best but in some cases it is, like in my case

btw, ive underclocked the card from 270&#092;332 to 260&#092;327 because it was getting too hot and i was getting all of thes4e little dots on the screen.

In the registry think for coolbits did u type in 1 or 3 for the value? its supposed to be 3 just making sure u got it right...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast