Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Board Rules

Poster
    We're still checking the legal aspect of hashes / verifieds. Once we know we'll let ya know

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #42
    Poster
    Originally posted by 7thElement@21 December 2003 - 00:35
    We're still checking the legal aspect of hashes / verifieds. Once we know we'll let ya know
    Thanks for that.

Though I have to say, I think I have seen the e-mule ones in the verifieds sections of movieworld. Perhaps I am mistaken.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #43
    Originally posted by 7thElement
    Since it's impossible to magically turn a hash into a file without downloading the file, there's nothing illegal with them. Hashes aren't copyrighted. Also with Kazaa's braindead hashing, it's very easy to turn a "verified" file into almost random data with the exact same hash.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #44
    internet.news
    Originally posted by titey@20 December 2003 - 22:07
    So you think it's ok to ENCOURAGE people to leech?

Or to make it EASIER for them to do so?
    no, but unfortunately because ppl are just humans, you cannot expect of everyone
    sharing, although I am sharing and I am glad to see ppl sharing. It makes me happy I am not alone.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by random nut+21 December 2003 - 00:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (random nut @ 21 December 2003 - 00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-7thElement
    We&#39;re still checking the legal aspect of hashes / verifieds. Once we know we&#39;ll let ya know
    Since it&#39;s impossible to magically turn a hash into a file without downloading the file, there&#39;s nothing illegal with them. Hashes aren&#39;t copyrighted. Also with Kazaa&#39;s braindead hashing, it&#39;s very easy to turn a "verified" file into almost random data with the exact same hash. [/b][/quote]
    I agree that text is not illegal but we already received letters with complaints.

Text is not illegal but something like:

Office 2003 Enterprise Edition 5in1
    Fileffice 2003 Enterprise Edition 5in1.iso
    Length:596961280 Bytes, 582970KB
    UUHash:=PLRxJAzDvgvIWIA3PPdFi0H03m0=

is more or less something like "your board allows posting verified information of pirated software" which is not different than a direct download link.

A torrent file is different cause it contains detailed information but Sig2dat quicklinks enable users to download © protected files too. Hard to decide for a normal user if it is legal or not.

We are not against it but if it causes trouble we have to get rid of it because it makes no sense to run and run and run instead to offer a rock solid info / help community.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #46
    Poster
    Originally posted by 7thElement+21 December 2003 - 01:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (7thElement @ 21 December 2003 - 01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by random nut@21 December 2003 - 00:23
    <!--QuoteBegin-7thElement

We&#39;re still checking the legal aspect of hashes / verifieds. Once we know we&#39;ll let ya know

Since it&#39;s impossible to magically turn a hash into a file without downloading the file, there&#39;s nothing illegal with them. Hashes aren&#39;t copyrighted. Also with Kazaa&#39;s braindead hashing, it&#39;s very easy to turn a "verified" file into almost random data with the exact same hash.
    I agree that text is not illegal but we already received letters with complaints.

Text is not illegal but something like:

Office 2003 Enterprise Edition 5in1
    Fileffice 2003 Enterprise Edition 5in1.iso
    Length:596961280 Bytes, 582970KB
    UUHash:=PLRxJAzDvgvIWIA3PPdFi0H03m0=

is more or less something like "your board allows posting verified information of pirated software" which is not different than a direct download link.

A torrent file is different cause it contains detailed information but Sig2dat quicklinks enable users to download © protected files too. Hard to decide for a normal user if it is legal or not.

We are not against it but if it causes trouble we have to get rid of it because it makes no sense to run and run and run instead to offer a rock solid info / help community. [/b][/quote]
    Who are these letters of complaint from. The position they are taking is ludicrous and untenable.

I can type anything I want on my keyboard and then share it with people. There is no way in the world that people can stop you posting text on a board such as this.

Please enlighten me, what are they saying you are doing wrong because I can think of no offence which is being committed.

This is just bunkum and scare tactics. It reminds me of the phrase toothless tigers.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #47
    Poster
    I don&#39;t care about any letters as we don&#39;t do anything illegal here. The only thing that i WANT to know is if the laws are on our side or not, that&#39;s why I consult a lawyer (internet rights) to know what&#39;s up.

I just quoted letters from the IFPI http://www.ifpi.org which I receive on my desk. I don&#39;t care about what a letter contains but I do care about knowing if I am right or not

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #48
    Poster
    Originally posted by 7thElement@21 December 2003 - 01:44
    I don&#39;t care about any letters as we don&#39;t do anything illegal here. The only thing that i WANT to know is if the laws are on our side or not, that&#39;s why I consult a lawyer (internet rights) to know what&#39;s up.

I just quoted letters from the IFPI http://www.ifpi.org which I receive on my desk. I don&#39;t care about what a letter contains but I do care about knowing if I am right or not
    Good common sense approach - belt and braces.

Let us know how you get on, the whole area of internet legislation is fascinating. Not least because it covers most if not all of the worlds jurisdictions.

Bear in mind that as you are in the EU, the ECHR and in particular the elements of right to privacy and proportionality are very important.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #49
    Poster
    7ThElement
    "your board allows posting verified information of pirated software" which is not different than a direct download link.
    I see it as completely different. One is only metadata, or data about data, the other a direct link to a server to download the file.
    We are not against it but if it causes trouble we have to get rid of it because it makes no sense to run and run and run instead to offer a rock solid info / help community.
    This reasoning could lead to removal of the current verifieds along with all the p2p subforums. What info/help community would we have then?

Jg427

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #50
    Poster
    Only the verifieds would disappear (a total of 36.015 posts incl. replies) IF something happens at all which I don&#39;t think.

What info/help community would we have then?
    All other 565.783 posts and a working help / filesharing community board

Do you prefer this scenario ?

What info/help community would we have IF nobody cares about complaints ?

there would be no community at all

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast