Thread: Malicious Film ?

Hi ,
    I have downloaded Matrix revolution and when I double click on it it plays about 10 seconds then stops and my system is running at 100 cpu this locks my system I have to reboot to loose cpu . this then happens if I just click on the file ,it seems to be my explorer that is running at 100 cpu I could not delete the file even in safe mode I had to delete the partition with partition magic .I scanned the file and it seemed to be clean of viruses etc.
    Any idea what this is ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    this happens quite a few times with me and avi's

normally i can delete the file either using nero or dos, but occasionally, as you've found, the file remains there...

the way i manage to delete it if this happens is to open nero, end explorer with task manager, delete the file, then restart explorer

that should have worked, shame you had to delete your partition...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    What do you mean use NERO how? ,I have NERO.
    I did try shutting down explorer then restarting and its ok till I click on the file again.
    If I try to delete it says it is been used.
    I have had these probs before but they normally delete in safe mode.
    Do you think these .avi&#39;s are put out by the film companies to put us off ?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by the_painter@21 December 2003 - 11:23
    What do you mean use NERO how? ,I have NERO.
    I did try shutting down explorer then restarting and its ok till I click on the file again.
    If I try to delete it says it is been used.
    I have had these probs before but they normally delete in safe mode.
    Do you think these .avi&#39;s are put out by the film companies to put us off ?
    nero works without using explorer, so if explorer thinks it&#39;s using the file, nero can usually jump in there behind its back and delete the file

try deleting the file with nero when explorer isn&#39;t running (i.e. shut down explorer and don&#39;t restart it until the file has been deleted) next time this happens

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Im sorry to be a pain but what app from NERO do I use to search and delete a file?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by the_painter@21 December 2003 - 12:40
    Im sorry to be a pain but what app from NERO do I use to search and delete a file?
    just nero burning rom
    pretend you&#39;re going to make a cd up, navigate to the file and then just right click and delete it...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Thanks mate I didnt know you could do this

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I have just found an entry about this on the microsoft datdbase .
    It seems that in large .avi&#39;s there is an index file and if this has been chopped off using a file splitter or just corrupt then when you click on it in explorer it searches through the whole file for it and when it cant find it it searches again.
    And it takes the lenth of the film to search and runs at 100 cpu freezing your system.
    There is a hotfix for this but it wont be available until the next service pack.
    You can request a download from support but it is in trial stage.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    blank BT Rep: +1
    have u got a link to the hotfix?
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    BANNED
    You dont need to download anything mate,theres two registry fixes.

Heres one
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php
    If this one dosent work you&#39;ll have to google for the other,just search for avi with a few keywords.