Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: If I Download Piracy Stuff Am I Sinning?

I fully admitted that what I am doing is wrong, where is the hypocracy.

If Rockstar games takes 2 years to produce Grand Theft Auto- Vice City to sell 1 copy which is disseminated to 3 million users via the internet, they earn a gross of 40 dollars. Why would they ever make another game?

I make it a point to download old music but I have downloaded newer stuff because I like the song, but don't want the album (my bad). As for video games, I purchase them all from legit outlets because that market is so vulnerable (see Lamsey's post). At a certain point laws do become abit arbitrary, but when we download stuff which prevents the creator from getting paid for his efforts, we are stealing, and stealing is a sin.

I am not religious, so I do not care about "sinning", but I understand that getting enjoyment from a program, song or video, which deprives the creator from getting his financial due is simple theft.

Point 1: How am I hypocritical?

Point 2: How is this not theft?

edit: removed an incorrect statement
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #62
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    The way I see it, the fact that I'm downloading doesn't make a dent in someone's income, seeing as how I buy all I can afford, and then download the rest. OR, I search everywhere else, and then I download when I can't find it elsewhere.

I end up having not much money at all at the end of each month, but dammit, my conscience is clear.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by hobbes@22 December 2003 - 15:23
    I fully admitted that what I am doing is wrong, where is the hypocracy.

If Rockstar games takes 2 years to produce Grand Theft Auto- Vice City to sell 1 copy which is disseminated to 3 million users via the internet, they earn a gross of 40 dollars. Why would they ever make another game?

I make it a point to download old music but I have downloaded newer stuff because I like the song, but don't want the album (my bad). As for video games, I purchase them all from legit outlets because that market is so vulnerable (see Lamsey's post). At a certain point laws do become abit arbitrary, but when we download stuff which prevents the creator from getting paid for his efforts, we are stealing, and stealing is a sin.

I am not religious, so I do not care about "sinning", but I understand that getting enjoyment from a program, song or video, which deprives the creator from getting his financial due is simple theft.

Point 1: How am I hypocritical?

Point 2: How is this not theft?

edit: removed an incorrect statement
    we as the file sharing group, do not consider file sharing "stealing". We use a better term "sharing", sounds better than stealing but means the same thing.

The very fact that we are even discussion this topic proves we feel what we are doing is wrong. and yes it is illegal.

but as I said this is what file sharing is all about: it's about sharing (includes original ideas as well as pirated materials). And i dont care if you share "OLD" stuff or "NEW" stuff, it's all the same. You admit u do it, fine, but dont make it look like you are higher than the rest of us, this is hypocracy.

The fact that game companies are continually to make games means despite all these priacy they are still making money selling the games. if they dont make nuff they wont make games at all. and from what i've seen, they are making plenty.

4. Lounge   -   #64
    Happy Holidays

5. Lounge   -   #65
    Double Agent
    gee i dont know hobbes just the way to deliver ur words sometime is nuff to wage flames from fellow poster

same advice u gave me a long time ago now you need to relearn again.

it's ok i'll support u all the way.

I have no problems with you just dont approve some of ur posts and ur views

otherwise it's all good

6. Lounge   -   #66
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@23 December 2003 - 03:59
    gee i dont know hobbes just the way to deliver ur words sometime is nuff to wage flames from fellow poster

same advice u gave me a long time ago now you need to relearn again.

it's ok i'll support u all the way.

I have no problems with you just dont approve some of ur posts and ur views

otherwise it's all good
    Jimmy,

I really respect your opinion. You are rather volatile, but tend to be reasonable as well. I try to be fair, but sometimes tough in how I post.

I am always open to the fact that I may be or appear to be an ass. That is not my intention. Please feel free to PM me about what you think I need to be more aware of.

I consider myself to be your friend, but I will always respect your right to tell me I am being a jackass. Seems that I might be unaware that how I say something may be outweighed by how I say it.

Have a good holiday season.

7. Lounge   -   #67
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    do u guys watch mad tv? there was a thing in there bout music piracy. god blew up the kid that dled, and his coach who watched boys shower. lol. that was funny

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567