Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: If I Download Piracy Stuff Am I Sinning?

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Well shave my legs and call me a sinner.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    muchspl2
    FatBastard
    your reading comprehension seems pretty low or you haven't seen/used these words before, if you don't understand a word heres a good site http://www.m-w.com/home.htm please ask me any questions on what you don't understand, are you just being a troll?

well..
    First of all, the idea that downloading CDs is "theft" is complete BS. It is NOT theft. It is simply a violation of an arbitrary copyright law, nothing more nothing less. Theft requires the "victim" to be deprived of something. If I take your car, I am depriving you of your car. If I copy a song, I haven't deprived you of anything. The only thing you MAY have given up is the opportunity to sell me that song. If I would not have purchased the song in the first place, then you haven't even given up that. From an economics standpoint, copyrights and patents have absolutely NOTHING to do with "property" (the term intellectual property is a very recent one, frankly, the idea that you can own ideas is absurd); rather, copyrights and patents are simply a government granted monopoly to the holder of said copyright or patent.

Furthermore, over the past 100 years, copyright and patent law have been expanded WAY beyond their original intent. The ONLY justification for copyright and patent law is to encourage creativity and innovation. The moment that they begin to not have that effect (or to have the opposite effect, which is happening now), society needs to either repeal, dramatically weaken, or change those laws.

A good unbiased read on the history of "intellectual property" can be found here:
    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/property99/history.html

as far as sinning thats between you and your god

3. Lounge   -   #43
    FatBastard
    Originally posted by muchspl2@22 December 2003 - 20:29
    Take no notice of me FB, I'm just being pedantic.
    That's OK Much, I'm used to you by now.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    muchspl2
    as I thought, you're just trolling for argument.
    what bothers me is, you put up no reasoning behind your "stance". I clearly explain how copyright "infringement" and theft are too completely different things and yet you think otherwise, enlighten me on the differences, I clearly stated my reasoning, you put up none, its ok if you can't
    I don't expect any rebuttal, mine as well just tell me to STFU
    otherwise explain yourself if you are serious.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    FatBastard
    I say downloading copyrighted material is theft, you say it isn't. You start with nothing, you end up with something you should have paid for, but you didn't. I also say it's illegal, do you dispute that too? Or has your pedantry no end?

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Alucard1475's Avatar Poster

7. Lounge   -   #47
    muchspl2
    didn't say it was legal, it isn't, but people have too want to vote & change the laws they deem inappropriate or unjust, all I'm saying is it only denies a person the right from selling it to me, so technically its not theft, not how the laws were intended.
    as for a sin, between you and your god I don't believe downloading music can deny you the right in heaven, at least I hope not :/

8. Lounge   -   #48
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by FatBastard+22 December 2003 - 00:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FatBastard @ 22 December 2003 - 00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@22 December 2003 - 13:24
    ITS NOT THEFT
    YES IT IS&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    no it&#39;s not cuz it&#39;s nothing more than man law what does&#39;nt over see gods law

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Ex-member
    Hey, don&#39;t you remember the 11th commandment?

Thou shalt not use Kazaa to download copyrighted material

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@22 December 2003 - 20:14
    Hey, don&#39;t you remember the 11th commandment?

Thou shalt not use Kazaa to download copyrighted material
    hehe, i use bittorent&#33;

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast