Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent Spyware

If you've been to suprnova.org, you might've gotten an ad about a "new" bittorrent 3.3. The file appears to install spyware, so don't install it.

This is the popup ad:

The link is http://www.unifymedia.com/ads/bittorrent-3.3.exe

This file will according to the license install other software, and not just BT:

Unless otherwise noted, all files are released under the MIT
    license, exceptions contain licensing information in them.

Copyright © 2001-2002 Bram Cohen
    [...]
    4) I understand that by accepting these terms and conditions, this program will be installed on my computer and my web browser home and search page will be changed in order to allow me access.
    5) I also acknowledge that a Desktop toolbar will be installed on this system as a stand-alone module and that the Desktop toolbar will update itself from time to time in accordance with the EULA Privacy Policy.
    6) I further understand that an accessory tool bar will be added to my web browser which will remain visible as long as the software is installed and agree that I wish to use your search engine for my web browsers auto search option and default error page.
    7) To insure you always have the latest version and for your convenience this software will automatically update itself from time to time once installed in accordance with this EULA and Privacy Policy.
    8) If you decide to change your homepage or search page at a later date this information ‘the url’ will be sent back to our servers and a pass-through toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser. This toolbar will remain active as long as this software is installed on your system.
    9) I understand that, by accepting these terms and conditions, bookmarks will be added to my system, which may be removed manually or via un-installation of the software.
    10) In order for us to keep this software free, from time to time promotional offers from our sponsors will be displayed to you.
    11) To prevent your browser from becoming cluttered when our toolbar is installed, any other toolbars you currently have visible will be deactivated. They can be restored manually through the IE view menu.
    12) In order for this software to function properly, If incorrect host-file entries are detected for this software's related domain names, those entries will be removed.
    [...]
    Now why does suprnova.org accept ads for spyware-infested bittorrent when anyone can download it for free and no ads? Are they that desperate for cash?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I almost fell for it, but decided to check on this forum first. Good thing I did.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Retired
    Get shadows version:

http://bt.degreez.net/

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Suprnova has gone downhill these past months.
    I can shit faster search engines than that... anyone want one
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Bit 3.3 is braums (sp) client, didnt he developed Bittorrent???

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by AcID ZeR0@21 December 2003 - 16:52
    Suprnova has gone downhill these past months.
    I can shit faster search engines than that... anyone want one
    Truely, I have also gotten a few apps that didnt work or had bad patches.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    muchspl2
    fuck that noise, it even deletes your host files

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    installed

Homepage for 3.3

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Retired
    Originally posted by skelley521@21 December 2003 - 22:13
    installed

Homepage for 3.3
    Shadows version is better

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}+21 December 2003 - 17:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ({I}{K}{E} &#064; 21 December 2003 - 17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-skelley521@21 December 2003 - 22:13
    installed

Homepage for 3.3
    Shadows version is better [/b][/quote]
    I have 4 clients, so I get to pick and choose

edit: If I remember right, wasnt shadows a spin-off of the first unofficial client??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast