Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing Threads

Poster
    I have every respect for the mods here, all of them. They do a bloody good job. That does not mean I agree with every decision, however I respect their right to make them. In my experience, if they are approached about the decisions they will happily discuss them. In a reasonable and fair manner.

I have visited boards where you can't say anything without being censured and I have visited boards where practically anything goes. I find both to be of little use. Neither dictatorships nor total anarchy are of any interest to me.

It's really down to personal taste. I stay here because I like the way it is done (on the whole). Sometimes I disagree with decisions, but that's just life. The Admin and mods do their job for the majority, this means that sometimes individuals won't like the decisions, again that is just life.

People break rules and they get told not to. If they continue to break the same rule and the thread is closed, why the surprise or the righteous indignation.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    I have every respect for the mods here, all of them. They do a bloody good job. That does not mean I agree with every decision, however I respect their right to make them. In my experience, if they are approached about the decisions they will happily discuss them. In a reasonable and fair manner.

I have visited boards where you can't say anything without being censured and I have visited boards where practically anything goes. I find both to be of little use. Neither dictatorships nor total anarchy are of any interest to me.

It's really down to personal taste. I stay here because I like the way it is done (on the whole). Sometimes I disagree with decisions, but that's just life. The Admin and mods do their job for the majority, this means that sometimes individuals won't like the decisions, again that is just life.

People break rules and they get told not to. If they continue to break the same rule and the thread is closed, why the surprise or the righteous indignation.
    Bravo chap! I agree! some people just need to be less picky...

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I agree with J'Pol that this board is very well run but when a thread is closed it would be nice to know why it was closed...surely this makes more sense so that we're not all bothering mods trying to find out why a thread has been closed. I've noticed more threads being closed with reason given and no idea of who has closed it.

Most of the time it is obvious why a thread is closed but some actual clarifacation makes sense because it gives everyone an idea of exactly what admin and the mods are prepared to tolerate.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Honey's Avatar unbreakable
    j'pol,... I never said i didnt respect the mods here, and I never said that I disrespected their decisions or their right to make them.

For the most part I've seen only good things done by them... but there is such a thing as "showing a human face", and to get respect you have to give respect.

I for one, dislike being treated like a child. Don't talk down to me, talk to me and I'm likely to respond much more favourably.

As you said, its down to personal taste, which makes my opinion just as valid as yours, right?

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ozbabe@22 December 2003 - 17:42
    j'pol,... I never said i didnt respect the mods here, and I never said that I disrespected their decisions or their right to make them.

For the most part I've seen only good things done by them... but there is such a thing as "showing a human face", and to get respect you have to give respect.

I for one, dislike being treated like a child. Don't talk down to me, talk to me and I'm likely to respond much more favourably.

As you said, its down to personal taste, which makes my opinion just as valid as yours, right?

Absolutely - your opinion and mine are both equally valid, as is everyone else's - as opinions.

It is for other people to decide which is the more factually accurate.

With regard to giving respect, I have never felt that the mods have treated me in a disrespectful way. Maybe they have and I didn't notice it.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Originally posted by J'Pol@22 December 2003 - 23:49
    Absolutely - your opinion and mine are both equally valid, as is everyone else's - as opinions.

It is for other people to decide which is the more factually accurate.

With regard to giving respect, I have never felt that the mods have treated me in a disrespectful way. Maybe they have and I didn't notice it.
    It's not for anyone else to decide who's post is more factually accurate, as your interpretation and mine may be poles apart, and it's based on the individuals experiences.

If you've never felt disrespected, more power to you because it doesn't feel nice.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by Ozbabe@22 December 2003 - 05:40
    (if you want respect... you have to earn it&#33

you said it yourself,
    and bitching and wining usually wont get it
    (fat bastard should know a little about that)
    earning respect usually starts by showing some IME/O
    pesonally, i've had to have dealings w/ lamsey, nikki,
    and {B}{O}{T} (one of the mods gettin bashed lately, cant see why)
    never seen em act in a disrespectful manner

any1 who thinks this is asskissing, STFU!
    GROW TFU!
    (now see, thats disrespectful )
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@23 December 2003 - 01:09
    you said it yourself,
    and bitching and wining usually wont get it
    (fat bastard should know a little about that)
    earning respect usually starts by showing some IME/O
    pesonally, i've had to have dealings w/ lamsey, nikki,
    and {B}{O}{T} (one of the mods gettin bashed lately, cant see why)
    never seen em act in a disrespectful manner

any1 who thinks this is asskissing, STFU!
    GROW TFU!
    (now see, thats disrespectful )
    and I suppose that really made you feel like a big man did it FKDUP?..

great choice of name btw...

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ozbabe@22 December 2003 - 18:17

It's not for anyone else to decide who's post is more factually accurate, as your interpretation and mine may be poles apart, and it's based on the individuals experiences.
    They really are entitled to form their own opinions, wouldn't you agree.

In my experience people's perceptions being poles apart, where the experiences are similar, is more due to the preconceptions and prejudices of the individuals, rather than the experience itself.

My experience here is a more or less positive one, yours would appear to be a more negative one, we seem to agree that neither is "right" just personal.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Originally posted by J'Pol@23 December 2003 - 01:32
    They really are entitled to form their own opinions, wouldn't you agree.

In my experience people's perceptions being poles apart, where the experiences are similar, is more due to the preconceptions and prejudices of the individuals, rather than the experience itself.

My experience here is a more or less positive one, yours would appear to be a more negative one, we seem to agree that neither is "right" just personal.
    whoa... hold it right there...

one experience does not make for being subjectively lumped in a negative barrel even by appearance.. I dont have preconceptions or prejudices, except when it comes to narrowmindedness and supposition. Having an opinion is healthy!

I was taught to be objective, but I was also told not to be afraid for having an opinon and voicing it if I thought something needed to be said...

Now Im quite happy to continue to debate this with you, but can you make the words a little smaller and easier to understand... its late and the mind is tired!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast