Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Earthstationv

I too read up on Earthstation on ZP and I am still very skeptical about the whole thing. I agree with random nut.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    well, what can i do- Its normal for everyone to feel a little skepticism...I'm sure people felt skepticism about a program called Kazaa that can share video files and had multi-source downloads but HEY, look at it now. Same could apply to this one, alls it needs is some benefit of a doubt...then we do criticism

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    I'd rather be skeptic about something I've never seen than believing some strangers on the Internet claiming to have created the best p2p program in the world. The Internet is full of such claims.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    i don't belive it.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    You'd rather be skeptic, thats fine. But you do also admit you could be wrong, right? I'm a little skeptic but I'm leaning towards their side

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by johnboy@25 February 2003 - 22:22
    I've got a lot of info on ES5, heres the very basic of what i know:
    -All files verified
    -1.5 terabytes on their servers for direct download. The server is made of 12000 Cisco Routers which means fast speeds.
    - Also a ES5 P2P download option depending on file
    - Complete anonymity
    There are so many reasons to be sceptical about this that it is difficult to know where to start. So forgive me if the post wanders. I will just make the points as they occur.

1. Having looked it is obviously a professionally created site. So either a commercial enterprise or a ruse by the authorities.

2. If they have 1.5 TB on their servers for direct download then then either it is material which is already freely available, or it is subject to copyright.

3. If it is subject to copyright then what makes them think that they will not be prosecuted. Unless they already know that for some reason.

4. Will they be charging for it's use. If so then no thanks, that's totally against the concept of sharing.

5. If they are not charging directly then what is the business model. Could it be ads / spyware.

6. To me this is at best a new Kazaa i.e. commercial exploitation ( let's face it they don't do it for nothing). It may possibly be a way for business to get some revenue from the sharing community. i.e. "Let's face it they are already sharing. If we charge them $5 a month for a fast server that they still think is f*@cking us then great". That's certainly how the web page reads.

7. Worst case scenario, details of sharers and what they are sharing will be recorded and passed to the relavant authorities.

As far as the technical issues are concerned, I will leave that sort of thing to RN

Cheers

JimF

PS JB try not to sound like an advert for this.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Got to see it first before believing anything. This world is filled with liers.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I've watched the thread on ZP with interest but it does sound to good to be true. The internet as a whole is rumour/fake city so its always worrying when someone comes along with outrageous cliams such as the like that have revovled around ESV.
    Personally I'm keeping an open mind and hoping

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    I have been reading alot about ES5 on other forums lately and i will reservre judgement until i actually see this out.There are alot of so called new p2p programs out there that never even get released for one reason or another...so why is this no different....

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    @Jim F: yes its free. It will have copyrighted files, and to avoid being closed, they'll be doing what Kazaa does which is working till now. In fact they'll even have complete anonymity where no one will know your IP at all. They'll make money with an Ad, not spyware, but just an ad. I don't mind looking at 1 harmless ad in return for direct downloads, do you? And I don't think ES5 is a dirty scoundrel but who knows. I don't have inside information, I'm just a beta tester waiting. BTW screenshots of it can be seen in UTC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast