Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@22 December 2003 - 15:35
    try deleting it using nero
    open nero, navigate to the folder and try to delete the file
    wow it worked

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Out of The Ordinary
    Right click here and save target as.
    When the file is downloaded right click and choose install, DONE.
    Now delete Your file.

BOT

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    ty [B][O][T]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Marius24@22 December 2003 - 16:26
    i try to delete an avi file i downloaded and kee getting this error message -

i have tried restart my pc and still it didnt delete

any help?
    You get problems like this when an application is using the file (as the warning box states). But when you restart the pc without launching the prgram (that was using it) you should have been able to delete the file.

The fact you couldnt means the application launches at startup. The way to shutdown a running proccess is by pressing CTRL ALT DELETE, go to processes and highlight the application and click END PROCESS.

This is useful for shutting down other applications like viruses and spyware enabling you to delete them.
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Robert00000@22 December 2003 - 16:54
    You get problems like this when an application is using the file (as the warning box states). But when you restart the pc without launching the prgram (that was using it) you should have been able to delete the file.

The fact you couldnt means the application launches at startup. The way to shutdown a running proccess is by pressing CTRL ALT DELETE, go to processes and highlight the application and click END PROCESS.

This is useful for shutting down other applications like viruses and spyware enabling you to delete them.
    this problem is most often associated with microsoft explorer, so using nero (which doesn't rely on explorer) should successfully delete the file the majority of the time
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    i only ever opened it in nero and that was about 2 months ago

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by Marius24@22 December 2003 - 16:59
    i only ever opened it in nero and that was about 2 months ago
    when you click on the file (to delete it), explorer tries to display the preview image among other tasks.
    if there is any corruption in the file or a codec conflict or whatever, explorer will spend a long time searching through the whole file for the preview, taking up 100% processor

this explains why you can&#39;t delete it (because explorer has &#39;stolen&#39; it)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Robert00000+22 December 2003 - 16:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert00000 @ 22 December 2003 - 16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24@22 December 2003 - 16:26
    i try to delete an avi file i downloaded and kee getting this error message -

i have tried restart my pc and still it didnt delete

any help?

This is useful for shutting down other applications like viruses and spyware enabling you to delete them. [/b][/quote]
    Mate its got nothing to do with any app using the file.Go back to my post in this thread.And the nero thing is even worse.The next time i&#39;m running xp and it happen to me ,i&#39;m sure i&#39;m going to install nero too just to delete a file.

If anything i&#39;d delete it through dos.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by ck&#045;uk@22 December 2003 - 17:16
    If anything i&#39;d delete it through dos.
    dos deletion doesn&#39;t seem to work for me, in the majority of cases

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Yes, i think explorer can be an ass sometimes. I&#39;ve had probs with it before and used system restore to fix it.

Using nero doesnt fix explorers instability, if you have Windows XP, or some other restore software use it remove the problem, until microsoft offers an update.
    Robert00000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast