Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Festive Season

I am the ripe old age of 21.

I have noticed that since I was about 13 or 14, this period of the year doesn't hold the same appeal as it once did. As i don't follow a religion as such, i enjoyed Christmas (or whatever you and yours call it, but i will refer to this period as Christmas from this point onwards, don't take offense, and don't expect an apology if you do, this is as good as it will get, a pre-warning) mainly because it was a time when i received some nice presents, and i was able to see my whole family at the party we had in my house. (also at the New Year too).

These days I still enjoy Christmas and New Year, but mainly for the social aspects ( good excuse to go out with friends - as if you need one ) and i feel that the general excitement of the time is gone. I also enjoy being able to give gifts to those i love and cherish, although i'm sure the heart-shaped pebble i found and gave to my Gran when i was 6 means just as much to her as whatever gift i buy for her this year.

Nothing surprising there i suppose, especially as this time of year holds little religious signifigance for myself.

I expect that when i am slightly older, married and have a few young kids that i'll enjoy this time more as i will be happy to see my kids excited. Disregarding of course the extra stress that Christmas brings for a lot, if not most people.

Do you feel the same way? Have the older members of the board found in their experience that Christmas means different things to you at different points in your life. I'd be interested to hear from you all (Commericial Christmas veterans like myself and Religious Festival followers alike)

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    as you grow older it does lose its appeal a bit - the suprise of what 'santa' gets you goes and then its just one of those holidays - but this year has been quite good for me so

its better when there are little kids about
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Ex-member
    I don't see it as religious either. I believe that Christ existed, and was a revolutionary phiosopher and general good bloke. So it seems fair enough to celebrate his birth by being nice to each other (giving presents, having social gatherings, etc).

It's also nice as a winter festival - something to take the chill off the month of December.

Everyone justifies Christmas in different ways. The most important thing is that you enjoy it.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Agreed. Christmas is really for the children. I'm also 21, and realised this when I was about 15 or 16. Let the young ones enjoy it

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    It is feckin brilliant when you have young kids mate. I am really enjoying the period - I love all the tack and the nonsense it involves.

I agree that the heart shaped stone probably meant more to your Gran than any present you could ever buy. It was the look on your face when you gave it to her that mattered, not a material thing.

This is soppy and uncool (I know that) but this time of year is just brilliant. People should let their hair down, be stupid wee kids and have a laugh.

Watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho' only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by J'Pol@23 December 2003 - 01:58
    It is feckin brilliant when you have young kids mate. I am really enjoying the period - I love all the tack and the nonsense it involves.

I agree that the heart shaped stone probably meant more to your Gran than any present you could ever buy. It was the look on your face when you gave it to her that mattered, not a material thing.

This is soppy and uncool (I know that) but this time of year is just brilliant. People should let their hair down, be stupid wee kids and have a laugh.

Watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho' only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.
    J'

Just because you are old enough to drink now, doesn't mean you have to all the time.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 December 2003 - 01:52
    I don't see it as religious either. I believe that Christ existed, and was a revolutionary phiosopher and general good bloke. So it seems fair enough to celebrate his birth by being nice to each other (giving presents, having social gatherings, etc).

It's also nice as a winter festival - something to take the chill off the month of December.

Everyone justifies Christmas in different ways. The most important thing is that you enjoy it.
    That's very phiosophical of you grammar mod.

Oh and I don't feel any need to justify it, so I don't.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee+23 December 2003 - 02:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Proper Bo, I tell thee @ 23 December 2003 - 02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@23 December 2003 - 01:58

Watch "It&#39;s A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho&#39; only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.
    J&#39;

Just because you are old enough to drink now, doesn&#39;t mean you have to all the time. [/b][/quote]

Actually it does - they will explain it to you when you come of age.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    get it over with already.
    I want the damn summer back.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

10. Lounge   -   #10
    there&#39;s a point. i think that i suffer mildy from that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). In the winter i wouldn&#39;t say i&#39;m depressed, but like many people i feel down, and i lose most of my motivation. In the summer however, i try to do as much as possible and generally feel much better. I think i&#39;d do better at uni if it was over the summer months, but that would mean having my holidays in the winter, so i can&#39;t win.

wow, i just de-railed my own thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast