Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Sharing, Good Or Bad? (long)

Poster
    UmmYeahOk, you aren't gonna get away from it. I'm a 56k'er and I share 1400 files +. It got up my arse to start off with, but the farther you go, the easier it gets. No point worrying mate, it's been a bone of contention for ages. Smile and share

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    yeah ..its been a problem in this p2p netwrk ..tht is a question of importance ...tht if u wanna share or not ..but for me ..i share abt 12 gb of data includin files softwares and MP3's (...they rule ..lol)...im on a broadband ..so i can and other who have "always open" can do it too but for a 56k'er its a pain in the ( u all know where ..lol) ...sorry guys too much laffin ..but seriouslty its upto on one's wish ..its a free world man ..but one quote" ur freedom ends where another's starts"....off the topic ..dont take me as tht ..but one's wish ....btw ..SHARE SHARE AND SHARE ..thts wat P2p all abt guys ...sorry for my bad english ...

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    I guess I have no choice but to keep sharing then. Sharing mp3s is cool cuz its a quick way to boost your level, and you end up seeing a lot of people downloading off of you sharing even more. Being an ex-nonsharer, I understand all the reasons for not doing so, and feel that it is your right to share or not. But I still wish that out of the the hundreds that download off me each day, that one, just one, would share. Its find to be stingey, its your right! But if everyone in the world was, we would never have things like a red cross, or a salvation army.

Heres a sick story: ...one person shared... ...He had a file, well two, I wanted. He had tons, especially tons of my own. I know, cuz I label them weird. I start downloading, then I noticed that he was continuing to download more files off of me. I was all like, yes! this is how it should work. Then he decided to allow one file to be downloaded at a time. Which was fine, I do it too. Plus it made completing one a lot faster. Then he stopped sharing at all. Couldn't check his library, or anything. He wasn't offline, how could he? He was still downloading off of me. Being a 56ker, this always happens I get a file, regardless of what size, needing a MB or two. Trying to resume for months, but never completeing cuz they found out how to stop sharing. That was the one time I actually considered cancleling the creep.

In the past we've had ratio sharing, upload the server an mp3, get one in return. But with a dial-up isp connection, you always got kicked off before you got to download. Without a constant IP, the server didn't recognize you, and you were screwed, only chance you had was to upload again. Because of my history with ratio servers I know forcing people to share is wrong. But from what Ive learn from all the filesharing progs from the past, is that this is the only way the system can work

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    One interesting thing I've noticed is that people lie, face to face, about whether or how much they're sharing. I've checked on it.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by UmmYeahOk@18 February 2003 - 15:09
    I guess I have no choice but to keep sharing then. Sharing mp3s is cool cuz its a quick way to boost your level, and you end up seeing a lot of people downloading off of you sharing even more. Being an ex-nonsharer, I understand all the reasons for not doing so, and feel that it is your right to share or not. But I still wish that out of the the hundreds that download off me each day, that one, just one, would share. Its find to be stingey, its your right! But if everyone in the world was, we would never have things like a red cross, or a salvation army.

Heres a sick story: ...one person shared... ...He had a file, well two, I wanted. He had tons, especially tons of my own. I know, cuz I label them weird. I start downloading, then I noticed that he was continuing to download more files off of me. I was all like, yes! this is how it should work. Then he decided to allow one file to be downloaded at a time. Which was fine, I do it too. Plus it made completing one a lot faster. Then he stopped sharing at all. Couldn't check his library, or anything. He wasn't offline, how could he? He was still downloading off of me. Being a 56ker, this always happens I get a file, regardless of what size, needing a MB or two. Trying to resume for months, but never completeing cuz they found out how to stop sharing. That was the one time I actually considered cancleling the creep.

In the past we've had ratio sharing, upload the server an mp3, get one in return. But with a dial-up isp connection, you always got kicked off before you got to download. Without a constant IP, the server didn't recognize you, and you were screwed, only chance you had was to upload again. Because of my history with ratio servers I know forcing people to share is wrong. But from what Ive learn from all the filesharing progs from the past, is that this is the only way the system can work
    Someone else could have taken your upload slot and maybe you couldn't reach his list due to some obstacle. But then again, he may have turned into a leecher.

Ratio Sharing :shudders:

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 February 2003 - 03:42
    It could also be possible that the people who downloaded the file are one different supernodes, and thus, you would not find them.
    Yup. However, at that particular time I was running WinMX v3.31 and it had a pretty neat feature in it called "whois".. by highlighting a username from a drop down menu it would instantly tell you how many files that user was sharing, the number of upload slots available, and their "connection type".. a very handy little option used mainly for getting rid of leachers, but basically this is an excercise in futility, because you could sit there all day long.. and it had an easy work around, all that user needed to do was change his name, since it wasnt a "unique username." Just out of curiosity, I monitored my uploads for a week.. I added 512 users to by block list (the limit at which it stops counting) There is no easy fix.. I just dont let it bother me anymore.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 February 2003 - 03:42
    It could also be possible that the people who downloaded the file are one different supernodes, and thus, you would not find them.
    If you are speaking specifically about k-lite, I had no problem finding the user.. he was just not accepting any messages. The scary part of this is that it was a 83Mb. file that I got using a multi-point download (13 users) That would suggest that, at THAT point at least 12 other users got the same corrupt file.. multiply that by X number of users downloading that file over a period of time, and then multiply that by X number of users that downloaded the file from THEM because they didnt delete the file from THEIR library after they discovered it was corrupt.. now you have a major problem.. and this is just ONE file.. Ohhhh, my aching harddrive !

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Originally posted by RPerry@18 February 2003 - 04:54
    I have to tell you that it used to royally piss me off when I would get up in the morning and find that literally several hundred files where uploaded to users that shared no files..not ONE.
    were the people you checked still uploading from you? I have never been able to browse a users files unless they were either uploding or downloading from me at the time. I leave my connection open while I'm asleep as well, and found that i couldn't browse the files of completed upload users. Is it the same for everyone, or is this a problem with my version?
    The comment I made here was in reference to a post by "UmmYeahOk" I was relating an experience I had about people not sharing any files.. I wasnt using Kazaalite at that time.. I was using WinMX v.3.31 with the "whois" option..if you are referring to that program.. you can only browse user lists if you are uploading to OR dowloading from that user if they have selected that option in their privacy settings, as long as they are online, and havent changed networks. By unchecking the "clear all completed uploads" in the options menu.. it will compile a list of all users and the files they uploaded from you. If you have added users to your block list you can still check their status and browse their lists (if online) in "realtime" by highlighting their names in the block list and selecting the "whois" option I have done this several days later only to find that these users are still not sharing..or their sharing the same 1 or 2 obscure files MINUS anything they took from me. This, would be a great feature on Kazaalite,however,now with the advent of the "privacy option" in 2.0.1.. you simply dont know. In order to make the program work correctly, it would require a "unique username".. THAT would require another database, which would be very impractical.. because as soon as the record/movie industry became aware of it..they would seize it.. and you would be finished.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Too many other things to get worked up about than non-sharers. Like the high levels of child poverty in supposedly "First World" countries, which are setting aside billions in currency to remove one dictator, and probably kill thousands of Iraqi children along the way Leechers, consider my bandwidth your own!

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by RPerry@18 February 2003 - 04:54
    I have to tell you that it used to royally piss me off when I would get up in the morning and find that literally several hundred files where uploaded to users that shared no files..not ONE.
    were the people you checked still uploading from you? I have never been able to browse a users files unless they were either uploding or downloading from me at the time. I leave my connection open while I'm asleep as well, and found that i couldn't browse the files of completed upload users. Is it the same for everyone, or is this a problem with my version?
    Sorry RP.. I posted alot more information in my reply to you than I normally would..this was done for the benifit of those that never used that program,so they could get an idea of how it works..and how I came to the conclusion that people were taking files (alot of them) and not sharing any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast