Thread: Xp Reinstall?

Rizindon's Avatar Poster
    im planning to reformat my hardrive and reinstall xp i got a xp disk because my new laptop aint got a floppy drive what shall i do because when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Have you tried installing XP yet, or are you just assuming you'll need the floppy boot disks?

You don't need bootable floppies to install XP.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Just boot with the cd in and follow the on screen instructions.
    Pick and choose the options that you want.

Paul Thurrott's Site may also give you some good reading.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????
    Nah man, go into your bios and set the boot device to cd rom and just use the windows XP cd.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Rizindon@23 December 2003 - 15:13
    im planning to reformat my hardrive and reinstall xp i got a xp disk because my new laptop aint got a floppy drive what shall i do because when it starts set up it asks for those 6 disk which start setup will it work it i put them floppies on 1 cd-r or soemthing???????
    Just insert XP disk into cd/dvd drive (you can install XP without needing to re-start your system). If it doesnt autorun double click the XP cd icon in My Computer and follow the instructions.

* Before you re-install make sure you delete current partition, or else it will create another partiton and install windows there, so you will end up having two partitions with windows *

If your copy of windows is an OEM version it may only give you the opportunity to do a clean install in any case over the current windows, but make sure you pay attention to what its doing.
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rizindon's Avatar Poster
    no i need to know what to do wit them 6 disks how do i boot from them what if i put them on cd and boot from that

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Mate just follow any of them instructions above.You dont need floppies mate with xp,its bootable with all the tools provided.As far as i can rembr the only time it asks for floppies is if you hit one of the "F" keys for an automated recovery.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    * Before you re-install make sure you delete current partition, or else it will create another partiton and install windows there, so you will end up having two partitions with windows *
    Not true. The XP installation process will prompt the user to either create/delete partitions, or use an existing partition.