Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Game Ever?

Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

Spankingly good! B)

2. Games   -   #12
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Originally posted by ugluk@9 January 2003 - 13:22
    1. Civilization (I,II,III! but of course, civ 3 is the best! anyone play the expansion yet?)

Yeah it is almost not even worth downloading it has so many bugs. The expansion pack almost ruins what is a great game. all so it crashes like crazy. I haven't hear of someone that completed a whole game with out a crash. Yet civ3 is a wonderful and adtictive game.

3. Games   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    here are my all time favourite games.

1. Sensible World of Soccer = Amiga

2. Final Fantasy Series if you want the bast one it has to be 7 = PSX/PS2

3. Goldeneye = Nintendo 64

and i have to put the championship manager series up there somewhere.

4. Games   -   #14
    Poster
    Cool topic! I've been so much involved in the chase for movies that I forgot how much I like computer games.

First person shooter: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or Mechwarrior 3 (God I want 4, may have to buy it)
    Haven't tried Medal of Honor yet, I suspect that I'll love it.

Racing simulator: Star Wars Podracer or Need For Speed Porsche

Flight Simulator: Il-2 Sturmovik or Janes WWII Fighters. Also Freespace is a great spaceflight sim.

Real-Time Wargame: Shogun Total War or Stronghold. Sudden Strike isn't bad either, though a little frustrating.

Turn-based wargame: All of the Atomic Software/Avalon Hill/V for Victory series (Utah Beach, Velikie Lukie, Gold-Juno-Sword, Stalingrad, Market Garden, Crusader) Pretty long in the tooth but still the finest series of operational level games ever produced. For strategic/theater wide wargames, Grigsby's Second Front, Pacific War & Liberation of Europe. Again, very old but still the best. For tactical/small unit, Steel Panthers World At War. Close Combat: Normandy seems to be a pretty accurate simulation but it's kind of tedious. (& now that I think of it, that's a real-time game, it just moves so slowly that you feel like it's turn-based) And going back to the mists of time, SSI's mid-80's American Civil War and Napoleonic games are surprisingly good, though the AI is frequently screwy: Rebel Charge at Chickamauga, Antietam, Gettysburg, and Battles of Napoleon.

Fantasy 1st person RPG: Morrowind or Heroes of Might and Magic III (not really 1st person but fantasy nonetheless) For an oldie, Sid Meier's Pirates! is still one of my faves.

(I keep coming back to edit because I keep remembering games)

XXXX (Explore, Expand, Exploit and Exterminate) game: Civilization II and III are both great but I prefer Europa Universalis II for its great diplomatic interaction and well-researched historical contexts and events. And Meier's Alpha Centauri is a nice spin on the Civilization format. Master of Orion II is great but I thought it was really difficult at the more challenging levels. There is also a really old game called Imperium that is short on graphics but long on complex interaction.

BTW for a lot of free downloadable out of production games try this site:

http://old.the-underdogs.org/Menu.htm

Does anybody know of a good first person AFV (tank) sim? Microprose's M1A1 Abrams was pretty good but that software went the way of my Amiga long, long ago.

So many games, so little time...

5. Games   -   #15
    Forum Star
    1. Gran Turismo, all off them, on Playstation.
    2. Command & Conquer.
    3. Leisure Suit Larry I.

The only games I ever completely finished.

@ Deckard: Nice site!

6. Games   -   #16
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    half life - Day Of Defeat online multiplayer mod
    medal of honer (love ww2 shoot em ups)
    GTA (all series)

7. Games   -   #17
    Poster
    Steel Panthers World At War (Free game from Matrixgames)
    Civ III
    Medal Of Honour Allied Assault

A wargamer from the days of 1/300th scale minitures and a big table.

8. Games   -   #18
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by deckard@10 January 2003 - 04:08
    Does anybody know of a good first person AFV (tank) sim? Microprose's M1A1 Abrams was pretty good but that software went the way of my Amiga long, long ago.

So many games, so little time...
    Very true Deckard! Tank sim the only kinda good tank sim I can remember was Battlezone, there is a Battlezone 2 but never got round to that. More of a sci-fi tank sim, but still it's all good. Close Combat a bridge too far was fun reminded me of that great movie, everytime I watched it I just had to have, one more go!

Stoi I'm with you when it comes to footie , where has CM4 got to? I think we should warn all the folks on this forum that we may be 'M.I.A' for sometime when CM4 comes out

9. Games   -   #19
    Forum Star
    I've been looking for a good tank sim for ages. There's one in the stores called steel beasts(a couple years old, I think), but I'm pretty sure the reviews for it were pretty bad.

10. Games   -   #20
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i can't believe no one has mentioned street fighter 2 best game ever.

sorry had to add another one. i just found the rom for it for my emulator and £9.99 later i have a contoller just like the snes for my pc.

im in heaven.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast