Thread: File Compression

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Hello,

I am in the proccess of creating a new release group, in the group we will release via bittorrent Games, Movies, and Programs. Now I would like to have a way to compress files for internet distribution and can't help but notice Myth's amazingly small file size mainly due to thier dos based compression. I am prepaired as a last resort to design my own compression suite... But as many programmers know that can be very time consumoing, and i really need something reliable to hit all the snags of downloading etc... and come out working. I would like the compression ability however to be as great as possible... this means to be compressing all types of media that may come with a game or a movie, or even apps. It must be able to work on all windows systems, or as close to as many as possible. (no don't worry if it doesn't work on windows 3.0... ), I am planning to be very Windows based, so don't worry about Mac, or even linux for that matter. How long it takes to decompress is also not a facter, as long as it doesn't take years... the myth compression could extract very easy, and i wouldn't be surprized if i get refered back to it, but i don't want to be found ignorant when thier is a better way. I would really enjoy not having to give the team the responsibility of also haveing to script our own compression method/implement...

First off, i want to thank anyone who even replys to this with constructive critcism.

Secondly i would like to bow down and praise who ever manges to get a good compression method established!

Thank you!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    doesn't myth use uharc to compress

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yes they do, i would also like to know where i could find uharc so i could play with it...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks for the link man, uharc looks promising, still i am willing to try anything at this point to make sure i have the right thing to use from the start. Thanks guys!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    u cant compress vids or mp3s..they already compressed

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    7-zip
    Best I've seen for all around file compression.
    -- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@24 December 2003 - 11:20
    7-zip
    Best I&#39;ve seen for all around file compression.
    agreed

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thank you that one looks promising... I will be compressing several files such as windows xp install, and Macromedia mx, and Warcraft 3 and compare file sizes, corruption prone, and speed. Thanks guys very nice